Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seamless transition?

1. Senior Member

Seamless transition?

Advertisements
    Ok
    So DH is in the reserves for now, he was active, then got out, tried a civilian career, and discovered that was not his thing.
    He was frocked last summer as E5, and now he is working hard in school to maintain his grades so he can go active duty and put in his package to become an officer.

He graduates in December, and ideally, would like to have orders for January (best laid plans I know I know) and he would put in his officer's package at that point.
    He has been in contact with his career counselor about going active duty in January.
    He signed up and has attended some training for the honor guard. Other than that and keeping his grades up, does anyone have any advice on what we can do to help our plans become reality?
    I'm pregnant and anxious and hate where we are living right now for his school >___<
  2. Senior Member
    Unless he's ROTC I don't see how it would be possible for him to go active duty as an officer that quickly when his degree isn't finished yet. So unless he can go active guard for a while I would expect that not to happen since the officer boards are relatively spread out also. DH looked at it a while back and it was way more complicated not through ROTC than with it.
  3. Senior Member
    Is he open to all branches, or just AF? How old is he? What job/s does he want to do?
    ~~~~~~~~~

Yeah, that seems nearly impossible. I know that in the Navy an officer recruiter will start talking with someone and work on putting together a kit before graduation, but it can't be submitted and go the board before the person is officially eligible, which means graduation. Then it requires waiting for the next board to convene (timing and frequency depend on the job for which they are submitting, but generally are 2-3/yr for many jobs). Then they have to wait for the ProReq, and FinSel (final selection), then for an OCS date, which can be months away. One of my friends' husband went the OSC route and I believe she said it was about 6 months from the board until he started OCS, and that doesn't including the time he had to wait for the board to convene after he submitted.

I can't speak for other branches, but for the Navy, 4-6 months from the board seems to be a very rough average. Add another 3-5 months to wait for a board (again, this varies so by job and by luck of timing).

The only things I can think of that he can do now is get in contact with a recruiter (make sure it is specifically an officer recruiter), and that person can tell him what he needs to start preparing his package for submission upon graduation. He can probably start things like gathering people to discuss letters of recommendation (though he might want to hold off on the actual letters in case they need to be within a certain time frame, but that's all info his officer recruiter can give him.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    The first step is definitely to talk with an officer recruiter for your desired branch and figure out if its an option with his age, any waivers needed, and positions available. DB is in the Marines, his OSO started his package prior to graduation and then he graduated in August and went to OCS in October of that year. All together the whole process was probably a year. He spent the time in between graduation and OCS training mostly and making sure everything was set for when he left. The Marines do have a program where you do OCS in two separate sections, one of which is before you graduate college and the other after, that's probably not offered in all branches. Also, DB was prior enlisted and it wasn't a selling point to his recruiter. He was lucky that he got an OSO that was willing to go out on a limb for him, but generally he will be competing for slots against people who are younger. I would be prepared for that. For what's its worth, I know the transition from active to reserve can be hard. If this doesn't work out, maybe he just needs to apply his degree and consider a different civilian field. Good luck!
  5. Senior Member
    He's prior active duty and currently reserves in the navy so he can finish school.

He talked to his career counselor, I think the plan now is to put in for active duty orders in October and then once he graduates in December, submit his officer package.

Now, putting in for active duty orders in October, when he has school until December makes me a little nervous. But the navy doesn't move that fast....right?
  6. Senior Member
    It sounds like he is trying to do two things - first, move from reserves to active duty and second, move from enlisted to officer. Both of those things are not easy to do and may take quite some time to do.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    He's prior active duty and currently reserves in the navy so he can finish school.

He talked to his career counselor, I think the plan now is to put in for active duty orders in October and then once he graduates in December, submit his officer package.

Now, putting in for active duty orders in October, when he has school until December makes me a little nervous. But the navy doesn't move that fast....right?
    I'm a bit confused. He wants to transition to AD Navy on the enlisted side. And then pursue a commission? If so, that's a very risky proposition and he could very well end up doing his full commitment enlisted, and might never be selected for commission. I highly encourage him to talk to an officer recruiter. These are entirely different people than enlisted recruiter. (However, an officer recruiter might not necessarily be an officer him/herself, which can be a bit confusing. It's the job title, not the rank of the person doing the recruiting.) You don't want him to transition to enlisted if the goal is to be an officer, before doing a *ton* of research. And it very possibly will be much harder to do if he becomes AD enlisted.

I am not as familiar with the transition from reserves to AD, but I believe his officer kit still can't go to the board for consideration until he's graduated. So, for example, if he's applying to be an aviator, there may be a board ~3 times per year. If there's one in November, he can't be considered because he doesn't qualify since he doesn't have a degree, which is required. If the next one isn't until March, his kit would go to that board. It could be several weeks before the board results are posted, and then it seems like most people wait 4-5 months from selection until going to OCS. So for a March board, that might be roughly July or August before he goes to OCS.

Of course, those board dates are just guesses. And different jobs have different boards, which happen more or less frequently. And if someone is age critical or there are other mitigating factors, it could be faster. Or slower.

And again, this is based on what I know of those coming in as civilians (even prior enlisted), so if it's bad info, I apologize. But anyone I know that is already AD enlisted had a very long process--often years, and usually or maybe always involving recommendation from the command, which they aren't going to get when brand new. Admittedly, I'm not familiar with the reserve component of all this and I wouldn't normally post if I wasn't pretty sure about my info, but your plan sounds very off so I wanted to say something. Please, make sure you do your due diligence, as your plan for him to transfer to AD enlisted then try to commission sounds very, very odd.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Thank you! We need to know these things.
    Our issue is that we have financially prepared to be where we are until the beginning of 2018, so we need to get something going. This is why he wanted to go active as an E5, because he can't get the officer ball rolling fast enough.

Now keep in mind we have been seeking advice from Southern Ohio, so.... he has gotten a lot of run around.

Is turning in his package WHILE going AD an option? That's what he thinks is best, but I'm worried about this... he says they have to let him go to the board and to OCS if he is selected. I feel like we are getting misinformation.
    I'll get him to talk with an officer recruiter, thank you all so much. I want to make sure we have enough time to know what to expect in time we have left here and the like.
  9. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

This all seems really complicated/possibly impossible to me. My DH was prior service AD and it took three years to get back to AD (including cross training to a different career). That was just enlisted, not trying to cross train. He talked to recruiters in Washington state, Indiana and Arizona before finding one that would even work with him.

I hope it works out but I would absolutely not be expecting orders for January. I'd say for each change (reserve to AD, and Enlisted to officer) give or take a year. It *could* happen fast, but that would be.......really rare.
  10. Senior Member
    He said he could turn in his package before going AD, he's currently in the naval reserves (did 5 years active).
    He is not hell bent against not cross rating.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast