Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seamless transition?

1. Senior Member
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    Thank you! We need to know these things.
    Our issue is that we have financially prepared to be where we are until the beginning of 2018, so we need to get something going. This is why he wanted to go active as an E5, because he can't get the officer ball rolling fast enough.

Now keep in mind we have been seeking advice from Southern Ohio, so.... he has gotten a lot of run around.

Is turning in his package WHILE going AD an option? That's what he thinks is best, but I'm worried about this... he says they have to let him go to the board and to OCS if he is selected. I feel like we are getting misinformation.
    I'll get him to talk with an officer recruiter, thank you all so much. I want to make sure we have enough time to know what to expect in time we have left here and the like.
    As far as I know, if he transitions to AD enlisted, even for just one day, then he has to follow all the same rules and procedures as any other AD enlisted person. There are a number of programs to get a commission, but they take many, many months. And they are very, very far from a sure.

If his ulitmate goal is to be an officer, it really sounds like he should talk to an officer recruiter now, and plan on not going AD enlisted.

Regardless, there is no way he's going to be an officer in December. And probably not in February or April, either.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    What job does he want as an officer? How old is he?

Quote Originally Posted by Medic2Doula View Post
    He said he could turn in his package before going AD, he's currently in the naval reserves (did 5 years active).
    He is not hell bent against not cross rating.
    If he cross trains to another enlisted rate, then he will probably have to wait years before even trying to commission. They aren't going to train him to do a job, then just ditch that training they paid for and send him to OCS.

Perhaps you guys need to prioritize. What is most important? 1) Getting a full time military job as soon as possible or 2)Being an officer

If it is 1, then he should start talking to the appropriate people now. I'm not sure if regular recruiters work with reservists or not, but if they don't, they could point him the right direction. If it is 2, then he should talk to an officer recruiter, and you guys should start job searching so that you have income for the months it is going to be while he tries to pick up a commission. (And it should be said that picking up a commission is far from a sure thing. Depending on the jobs he wants, his GPA and scores, and other factors--which vary in importance depending on job--he may spend all that time and not get commissioned. A good O recruiter can help by telling him what sorts of packages are competitive.)

The advice is almost always, "if the goal is to be an officer, DO NOT enlist".

Both options have risk. If he enlists, there is a very good chance it will take years for him to commission (at which point it sounds like he'd be too old anyway), or he might not ever get selected. His chances of getting a commission are better if he's not already AD, but then you have to figure out employment for the gap, make sure he wouldn't be too old, and there's still some chance he wouldn't get selected.
  3. Senior Member
    He would take whatever he could get, except for aviation, he didn't bother taking that part of the OAR, he is 31. I have been told that if he has to get a waiver for his age (which dear lord, can I get some clarification when the cut off is, we have gotten all answers in the 31-35 range) his AD time would count against his age (as in, take 5 years off).
  4. Senior Member
    I agree with speaking with an OSO now to have your questions answered. As Vil said, if his goal is to commission I would start pursuing that path now by working with an OSO to put his package together. If he goes active and then tries to go the officer route, the process will be delayed and there is no guarantee there would be an opportunity. If he doesn't graduate until December there is time to start getting the ball rolling for the officer side. You can start the process before you technically graduate. If you need to fill the time gap in financially its a lot easier to be working some civilian job that you can just quit than have to figure out the AD stuff. Also, DB needed an age waiver and I'm almost certain his enlisted time didn't increase the age requirement. But this was for the Marines and he was reserve (only activated during deployment). That's definitely a question for an OSO, waivers can be hard to come by and delay the process.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    I agree with speaking with an OSO now to have your questions answered. As Vil said, if his goal is to commission I would start pursuing that path now by working with an OSO to put his package together. If he goes active and then tries to go the officer route, the process will be delayed and there is no guarantee there would be an opportunity. If he doesn't graduate until December there is time to start getting the ball rolling for the officer side. You can start the process before you technically graduate. If you need to fill the time gap in financially its a lot easier to be working some civilian job that you can just quit than have to figure out the AD stuff. Also, DB needed an age waiver and I'm almost certain his enlisted time didn't increase the age requirement. But this was for the Marines and he was reserve (only activated during deployment). That's definitely a question for an OSO, waivers can be hard to come by and delay the process.
    I'm only really familiar with Naval Aviation, but the maximum age is definitely higher for prior enlisted, and it seems like it's a pretty standard waiver to get. Like, it seems pretty much automatic. But there are limits to what they will waive. I *think* non-priors must commission (which means actually finish OCS*) by their 27th birthday, and priors can be waived up to age 29, but it depends on how much prior time they have. SWO, Supply, NFO, and other designators have different age waivers though which is part of why I asked you, OP, what job he wants to do.

*For those close to the age cutoffs, they generally can somewhat rush the process after selection. They still have to wait for the selection board to convene and publish results, but generally they will skip to the front of the line for an OCS date after they get a Final Select.. However, they must *complete* OCS and commission before the age cut off. If they are halfway through and get hurt and roll 3 weeks and that means graduation is 3 days after the birthday, they are done.

Again, confirm all this with an O recruiter.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I'm only really familiar with Naval Aviation, but the maximum age is definitely higher for prior enlisted, and it seems like it's a pretty standard waiver to get. Like, it seems pretty much automatic. But there are limits to what they will waive. I *think* non-priors must commission (which means actually finish OCS*) by their 27th birthday, and priors can be waived up to age 29, but it depends on how much prior time they have. SWO, Supply, NFO, and other designators have different age waivers though which is part of why I asked you, OP, what job he wants to do.

*For those close to the age cutoffs, they generally can somewhat rush the process after selection. They still have to wait for the selection board to convene and publish results, but generally they will skip to the front of the line for an OCS date after they get a Final Select.. However, they must *complete* OCS and commission before the age cut off. If they are halfway through and get hurt and roll 3 weeks and that means graduation is 3 days after the birthday, they are done.

Again, confirm all this with an O recruiter.
    That makes sense, I think he turned 28 the summer before he left for OCS, so maybe he his prior service did factor in. OP- Ignore me!
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    That makes sense, I think he turned 28 the summer before he left for OCS, so maybe he his prior service did factor in. OP- Ignore me!
    It's probably different rules for different services, too! And what I posted is just for pilots. Different Navy jobs also have different age limits and waiver details. It would be too easy to have them all the same!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12