Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Army Recruiter Training/Duty

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Question Army Recruiter Training/Duty

Advertisements
    Hey guys! I went through the sticky for Recruiter duty and there wasn't much up to date information. DH just informed me that he was DA selected for Recruiter duty and that he was going to go ahead and accept the orders. This means shorter deployment, and possibly moving somewhere new. We have been pretty stagnant in Fort Carson since 2012 and have been looking to get out of there. I got a really good job opportunity in Arkansas last year and we decided I should take it and move with our son to prepare for him to get out of the army...well surprise a year and a half later and he's looking to resign. I got a little off track there, but I guess I have some questions ! DH has his report date for Recruiter Training at Fort Knox and I have been scouring the internet for information on what all that entails. Anyone have any new information as to how long the training is, how soon they find out their assignment station, and how much weight your wish list counts for. I know a lot of this is just up to the Army, but I really feel like I am going in blind right now. Dh will be deployed, then get sent home for our daughter's birth, then it's clearing out of Carson and off to training. I know a lot has changed for recruiters in the last few years, so I am really hoping to get some good insight from current/recent recruiter families. I was also told there was some sort of special duty pay, but everywhere I have read it looks like they reduced it or aren't offering that incentive anymore. Soooo....sorry for the all over post! TIA everyone dawnzie

2. Senior Member
    Yeah, that sticky thread is old and I'm pretty positive I was the last to post in it. There are only me and a couple of other Marine recruiter wives here on the forum currently. DH only has a few weeks left on his 3 years duty, so i can tell you what my experience was like (note* it will be a little different than the Army).

His school was 2 months long and he found out where he was going the last 2 weeks. He did not get his choice of station and we wound up on the other side of the country from where we wanted. The SgtMaj hand picks the recruiters for their RS, and DH was top of his class so they must have needed him bad. I've read a lot of people do get where they want or at least within a few hours so don't completely lose faith. And there is still special duty pay around an extra $300 (I think that's the ammount), at least in the Marines. But it mostly goes towards dry cleaning, eating on the road, and DH's commute to work (from there he drives a gov all day).

ETA: It wouldn't hurt to join some Army recruiter wives pages on FB so you can get branch-specific questions answered. On the Marine recruiter wives FB page we get those questions you asked almost everyday.
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 01-06-2017 at 06:13 AM.

3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the info! I will look into the fb pages for sure. It's weird how little information I can find online about it.

4. Senior Member
    No problem! Good luck with everything!