Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: promotion gift

1. Senior Member

promotion gift

Advertisements
    I've never gotten DH a gift for a promotion before, but he commissions in two weeks, and going from enlisted to officer after working hard to finish his degree is deserving of a present in my opinion what are some gift ideas? maybe something that could be of use to him as a new Lt? I'm drawing a blank. TIA!

2. Senior Member
    Congrats How about some nice pens for the new desk job... just kidding! Maybe a nice watch? I don't think I got DB anything, but he treated himself to a new truck (aka Lt mobile).
  3. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    There are some good shops on Etsy that will make a custom plaque for you (if your DH is into that sort of thing). I'm going to get one for DH on veterans for his anniversary of Afghanistan.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaUSMC View Post
    Congrats How about some nice pens for the new desk job... just kidding! Maybe a nice watch? I don't think I got DB anything, but he treated himself to a new truck (aka Lt mobile).
    nice pens might work... can't get a new truck, just did that

Quote Originally Posted by the_lepus View Post
    There are some good shops on Etsy that will make a custom plaque for you (if your DH is into that sort of thing). I'm going to get one for DH on veterans for his anniversary of Afghanistan.
    I'm not sure he'd be into something like that. He keeps all his certificates and coins and stuff but they're hidden in a drawer somewhere.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    nice pens might work... can't get a new truck, just did that

I'm not sure he'd be into something like that. He keeps all his certificates and coins and stuff but they're hidden in a drawer somewhere.
    I did get his commissioning document framed professionally. That's an idea but it wouldn't really work as a gift. Coins are big too to give back and forth as tokens.
  6. Senior Member
    What designator will he be? (Or whatever the Army calls an officer's job? lol)

A coin holder? You can find coin holders shaped like various things (like a plane, or the service crest, or whatever.)

If you don't want it to be quite so "military", depending on what you want to spend, you could consider a big watch. I know in DH's community, nice watches are kind of a thing. Or nice Scotch (whiskey, Bourbon, whatever he drinks; and glasses to go with it, perhaps with the Army logo etched on them if you want it to tie it back to the event a bit, and you could even add is commission date if you wanted), cigars (and a humidor if you want something more permanent). Gold cuff links (assuming there are Army uniforms with which he could wear them like there are in the Navy). An officer's sword (engraved if you want, with perhaps his name and commissioning date).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    What designator will he be? (Or whatever the Army calls an officer's job? lol)

A coin holder? You can find coin holders shaped like various things (like a plane, or the service crest, or whatever.)

If you don't want it to be quite so "military", depending on what you want to spend, you could consider a big watch. I know in DH's community, nice watches are kind of a thing. Or nice Scotch (whiskey, Bourbon, whatever he drinks; and glasses to go with it, perhaps with the Army logo etched on them if you want it to tie it back to the event a bit, and you could even add is commission date if you wanted), cigars (and a humidor if you want something more permanent). Gold cuff links (assuming there are Army uniforms with which he could wear them like there are in the Navy). An officer's sword (engraved if you want, with perhaps his name and commissioning date).

oh those are good ideas, I like the scotch and glasses or a sword. His job is military intelligence, but he's branched infantry until he's a captain.

8. Senior Member
    I never get DH promotion gifts but this last promotion was pretty special for him so I got him a challenge coin holder for his office. I wanted to have a custom challenge coin made for him but I couldn't find a place that would make single coins instead of making you order them in bulk (if anyone knows of a place that makes single custom coins, please let me know).

Or if you don't want something military related, you can never go wrong with a nice watch.

9. Senior Member
    I got him a pretty expensive watch for his birthday last year. I'm thinking I'm gonna get him a bottle of Johnny walker blue and some engraved glasses that say LT Gray and his commission date. Good idea vill!!

10. Senior Member
    If you want a really nice scotch, look for a single malt, rather than a blend. (Or better yet, a single cask with no additives, though they are harder to find and higher in alcohol content because they aren't watered down.) If he loves JW Blue, obviously that's a good choice, but if you picked that because it's higher end and a nice treat, there are much, much better scotches (many of which would be cheaper, since with JW Blue you are paying for the name and the marketing). If you know what kind of flavor profile he likes (extra peet-y, more floral, etc.), I might be able to suggest something specific, and DH certainly could, if you are interested.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast