Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wife of an Officer?

1. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Advertisements
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Mandatory ball and family fun day? Neither one sounds like fun if they are a forced to go event.
    They're not.

Well, we always have fun at the balls. But the MFF days can be torture b/c we don't have kids and obvi they're for people with families. Last time DH and I went to on, we ate and then stood around awkwardly until the CO was like, "oh hell... you guys don't have kids. Just go home." (in a nice way)

www.SnarkyFit.com
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Yeah you're not required to do anything. I've heard doing certain things can make your spouse look better but not doing stuff doesn't make them look bad or hurt their careers

3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    This is simply and 100% not true. Bad information.

Spouses never have to go to anything. We a civilians. There may be dinners or other social events that are required for the service member, but they do not, can not, and will not require anything of a spouse. And there may be people who expect you to attend events or fill certain roles, but you are free to opt out. The higher one's service member gets, the more there will be some expectations, but it is always possible to defy those expectations.
    Yeah the social expectation is why I said "might" have to go. Sorry, It's just an opinion.
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    Quote Originally Posted by tofuface View Post
    Yeah the social expectation is why I said "might" have to go.
    Yeah but that doesn't happen until.... like, several enlistments in.
    As a PFC, they just care about your wife not doing something stupid to get you in trouble.... like unplugging all the clocks in the house so you end up late to formation or using your base housing as a meth lab. Not how many bake sales you attend.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern-queen View Post
    Mandatory ball and family fun day? Neither one sounds like fun if they are a forced to go event.
    No, they're not. But I think the CO knows that if they weren't mandatory then no one would show up.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    They're not.

Well, we always have fun at the balls. But the MFF days can be torture b/c we don't have kids and obvi they're for people with families. Last time DH and I went to on, we ate and then stood around awkwardly until the CO was like, "oh hell... you guys don't have kids. Just go home." (in a nice way)
    this

You're right, the ball isn't so bad. But DH and I are childless too and MFFD and the Christmas party are totally geared towards the kids. Your CO sounds awesome! DH's CO knows that some of the recruiters are making a 2+ hour drive to come to these events but she still makes them mandatory and won't dismiss everyone until many hours into the event.

6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

A spouse can be involved or not, it's their choice. I haven't seen anyone's career hurt or helped by lack of spousal participation.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12