Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: EOD

1. Senior Member

EOD

Advertisements
    DH is planning to submit for reclass into EOD when the new quarter comes around. February is when he's within his window to reclass, and assuming EOD is available (which it seems to basically always be), he says he's going to get everything around for it.

I'm mostly just looking for whatever anyone can tell me about their experience with the S/O being EOD.

We know he would have 9 weeks training at Ft. Lee and then 29 weeks at Eglin AFB. One big thing I'm wondering is if anyone else has every had it where the military will pack your stuff and basically keep it in storage until you know, for sure, where your next location is? We would prefer that for the 2 months he'd be in Virginia (Ft. Lee), the kids and I rent a place back near family (to let family and the kids get some much needed time seeing each other) before accompanying him to Eglin. While in Michigan, we wouldn't have our stuff. I know the military will only move stuff once per PCS, and that's why I was wondering about the storage option until DH goes to Eglin.

As we understand it, EOD can get stationed pretty much anywhere. Is that correct? They are basically at all bases?

How soon after submitting for EOD did your S/O leave for training? DH plans to submit for this all to happen as quickly as possible. He's been in an MOS he didn't want for nearly 3 1/2 years, and I'm just hoping he can be in something he does want sooner rather than later.

Thank you.
  2. Senior Member
    My ex husband attempted to reclass to EOD from infantry a few years ago. It didn't pan out so I can't tell you anything about the job itself but the time between when he initiated the process and the date he was supposed to leave for training was around a year. He was within a few months or so of his ETS date and he extended his contract in order to reclass. I don't really remember all that he had to do, but I know he interviewed with somebody from the EOD unit at Schofield and then he was moved into that unit for a while to prepare basically.
  3. Senior Member
    You can arrange for moving your HHG once you have orders and the military will store items for 90 days in conjunction with a PCS. So, if his orders to Eglin are part of the orders to Ft Lee, then he can get them to pack up his stuff before he goes to Ft Lee, but the temp storage will only be for 90 days and he would have to ask for an extension if he wants them to be stored for more than 90 days. But really, the bottom line is it depends on how the orders are written.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    My ex husband attempted to reclass to EOD from infantry a few years ago. It didn't pan out so I can't tell you anything about the job itself but the time between when he initiated the process and the date he was supposed to leave for training was around a year. He was within a few months or so of his ETS date and he extended his contract in order to reclass. I don't really remember all that he had to do, but I know he interviewed with somebody from the EOD unit at Schofield and then he was moved into that unit for a while to prepare basically.
    Do you mind me asking why it didn't pan out for your ex? Just wondering in case there is stuff my husband should avoid doing that could hurt his chances or something he could do to improve them. Thank you.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    You can arrange for moving your HHG once you have orders and the military will store items for 90 days in conjunction with a PCS. So, if his orders to Eglin are part of the orders to Ft Lee, then he can get them to pack up his stuff before he goes to Ft Lee, but the temp storage will only be for 90 days and he would have to ask for an extension if he wants them to be stored for more than 90 days. But really, the bottom line is it depends on how the orders are written.
    Thank you. That's good to know.
  6. Senior Member
    I don't know if this helps, but during my Most Complicated Move Ever (tm), I was told repeatedly that everyone automatically gets up to 90 days of storage. I believe that date begins when the orders start so if you ship it early or there is leave en route, or whatever, it doesn't count against you. It is 90 days from his report date. You can request an extension, but I don't know how easy or difficult those are to get.

So if it is just those two months, it shouldn't be a problem, if I am understanding correctly what you want to do. You'd just have to make sure you find a house and take delivery before your 90 days is up. If the middle destination is TDY en route, then it wouldn't even count against your 90 days. Our stuff left Germany in early Sept. We left in late Sept. DH has been TDY en route until a few days ago, so our 90 day clock didn't start until Nov. 5, even though it left Germany Sept 2 and he has been working in the US since Sept 29. What counts is the date he officially checked in to his new command.

All that being said, I'll admit that I haven't confirmed this in the JTR. We've gotten that same answer from everyone we talked to so I felt no need to confirm it.

And when we got a call last week that our stuff had arrived, we told them to store it, and no one batted and eye. It just happened, so that supports the fact that what everyone told us is true. (We are actually not going to take delivery at all. Now that DH has checked in to San Diego, he will be getting his Japan orders before our 90 days are up and when we have those we are going to forward the whole shipment to Japan, where it will wait for us until we arrive. Again, since we have 90 days *from his report date*, it can sit in Japan for months until we arrive at no cost to us, according to everyone we talked to.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I don't know if this helps, but during my Most Complicated Move Ever (tm), I was told repeatedly that everyone automatically gets up to 90 days of storage. I believe that date begins when the orders start so if you ship it early or there is leave en route, or whatever, it doesn't count against you. It is 90 days from his report date. You can request an extension, but I don't know how easy or difficult those are to get.

So if it is just those two months, it shouldn't be a problem, if I am understanding correctly what you want to do. You'd just have to make sure you find a house and take delivery before your 90 days is up. If the middle destination is TDY en route, then it wouldn't even count against your 90 days. Our stuff left Germany in early Sept. We left in late Sept. DH has been TDY en route until a few days ago, so our 90 day clock didn't start until the.

All that being said, I'll admit that I haven't confirmed this in the JTR. We've gotten that same answer from everyone we talked to so I felt no need to confirm it.

And when we got a call last week that our stuff had arrived, we told them to store it, and no one batted and eye. It just happened, so that supports the fact that what everyone told us is true. (We are actually not going to take delivery at all. Now that DH has checked in to San Diego, he will be getting his Japan orders before our 90 days are up and when we have those we are going to forward the whole shipment to Japan, where it will wait for us until we arrive. Again, since we have 90 days *from his report date*, it can sit in Japan for months until we arrive at no cost to us, according to everyone we talked to.)
    Oh man, that had to be fun (sarcasm), get to San Diego and find out you're on your way to Japan.

Thank you for the info.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *WarBear's*Wife* View Post
    Do you mind me asking why it didn't pan out for your ex? Just wondering in case there is stuff my husband should avoid doing that could hurt his chances or something he could do to improve them. Thank you.
    It's a long story and he lied to me for a while out of shame so I probably don't even have all the details, but basically when he was in the EOD unit, the person in charge of him (no idea what his rank was) knew I was visiting for a couple weeks and was extremely lenient with him and let him take days off, come in late, leave early, etc because he was only shadowing and not actually working. After I left, he continued taking advantage of that courtesy and got kicked out of the program because it turns out being punctual is kind of important when your job is to disable bombs

Your husband should be fine, I mean showing up to work is a pretty basic expectation.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *WarBear's*Wife* View Post
    Oh man, that had to be fun (sarcasm), get to San Diego and find out you're on your way to Japan.

Thank you for the info.

We actually knew before we left Germany. We are in the US for about 8 months while Dh does some training. Typically, it wouldn't have been a PCS, but they couldn't just leave me overseas in Germany, and the SOFA agreement doesn't allow for sending me ahead to Japan, either. There are so many aspects of this move that make it suck. I could write a very sad novel.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Well, we've recently discovered slots for E5 are, currently, basically non-existant. So, unless things change drastically in the new quarter, DH will have to look at something else, and right now, the top contender is drone pilot. Next month cannot come fast enough. We are both so anxious to see what his options will turn out to be.