Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Gettin close to Retirement, Any advise!!!

1. Senior Member

Gettin close to Retirement, Any advise!!!

Advertisements
    AFter DH 19 years of duty both active an NG Service, He is in his last year of Drill weekends , He will be gettin out. Im Excited not to have to cater to the army Crap.. Any Advise???
  2. Senior Member
    I don't have any advice but we will be there soon!!! But first... our last deployment!!!!
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    No advice but good luck!

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    No advice either! Just wanted to say good luck!
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kw1214 View Post
    I don't have any advice but we will be there soon!!! But first... our last deployment!!!!
    how many deployemnts have u done i have done 2 with hubby an he did his first b4 we got together. Hope it goes fast for u. If u need anyone to talk to Let me know..
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by janicebru View Post
    how many deployemnts have u done i have done 2 with hubby an he did his first b4 we got together. Hope it goes fast for u. If u need anyone to talk to Let me know..
    This will be my 2nd , but he's had many. Thank you.... always helps to have people to talk to! Good luck with retirement!!!
  7. Senior Member
    Well since he is national guard it isn't the same as retiring from active. I imagine he has a job, y'all have a house you live in and all that stuff already and you don't have to pack up and move somewhere and start all over.

But honestly.....if he will be dealing with the VA, he is never done catering to the military. Shoot DH isn't (I consider VA military because everything from them is due to being military). Me, I never did but other than settling down in one place (ick hate it) and not being on a military base any longer my life hasn't changed from when he was in.
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    if you haven't already, start savings. Things are more expensive after you retire. From the retiring from active duty side, you have to pay for Tricare, and dental (dental is $130 with Tricare), start researching insurance plans (in case you don't want to spend for dental and Tricare if it applies). Start looking into life insurance policies, because SGLI (if he has it) will end.

We were already in our home when he retired so we didn't have to do a move, but it was a shock. For us, it was the financial side at first, you don't realize how much different it is until it happens. So, my advice, save, save, save money, so when you have to start paying for things you didn't before you have the money for it.

We are good now, but the first few months was touch and go.

oh, and if he hasn't already started the VA process (for disability and such) he needs to. DH started his about year before his retirement date, and even then it still took about 9 months after retirement before he got his rating and all finalized. We know some who waited until after retirement or towards the end (like a month or two before retirement) and here we are 2 years later and they are still waiting for theirs..

Again, this is all from the active retirement side, not sure how different it is for national guard. For me, personally, my career or jobs, or home wasn't affected, I continued to work and we were already living in our home.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Senior Member
    I have no advice but hope to feel the same way you do soon. DF has also been both AD and reserves, has a couple more years to go.