Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: MSG Spouse Life??

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

MSG Spouse Life??

Advertisements
    Hi All!

I'm new to this site. Here's my back story-- My fiancée and I will learn in 9 days if we can get married in 2016, because fingers crossed he'll pick up Ssgt. God willing he picks up Ssgt, we are trying to decide if we should get married before I finish grad school and he leaves for MSG training, or just wait until we are both done with our schooling. If we wait, how long will he have to wait before he can take time off to come home and get married?

So what is life like as a Det. Commanders wife? I'm getting my MSW, what's the likelihood I'll be able to work? Will we be able to bring our dog-child with us? In general, what is life like? What would my responsibilities be? I'm already the den mother to his current Marines, I assume it'd be the same? We both have no idea what to expect.

I look forward to any and all information. Thanks in advance!

Best,

J
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    As for the dog, depends on size and breed and where you want to live. On base housing, and overseas housing sometimes restrictions based on breeds or sizes.
    Being a wife of any rank or any branch is the same as being a wife to a civilian, just generally more moving around. As a wife, you have no responsibilities. In fact, to the military, you don't really matter that much. You can take on responsibilities in various spouse groups, but that is completely voluntary and up to you.
    As for finding a job, once again, depends. Are you looking for a career type job, just a job, or something as a licensed professional?
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Acutengel View Post
    Hi All!

I'm new to this site. Here's my back story-- My fiancée and I will learn in 9 days if we can get married in 2016, because fingers crossed he'll pick up Ssgt. God willing he picks up Ssgt, we are trying to decide if we should get married before I finish grad school and he leaves for MSG training, or just wait until we are both done with our schooling. If we wait, how long will he have to wait before he can take time off to come home and get married?

So what is life like as a Det. Commanders wife? I'm getting my MSW, what's the likelihood I'll be able to work? Will we be able to bring our dog-child with us? In general, what is life like? What would my responsibilities be? I'm already the den mother to his current Marines, I assume it'd be the same? We both have no idea what to expect.

Best,

J
    Dunno about dogs and good luck getting the leave he needs to have your wedding! But there are no responsibilities attached to being married to someone in the military, no matter what rank, enlisted/officer status, job, etc. I mean if you want to volunteer or participate in family readiness or anything it's up to you.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Acutengel View Post
    Hi All!

Best,

J

As others have said, you have no responsibilities when you're a military wife. In fact, my husband has been a Marine 8 years and I've never even heard of a "den mother", just FRO (Family Readiness Officer). You will be like any other civilian wife, except you get access to the commissary, Tricare, and you get to move every few years (such fun! ).

So, he does have to be a SSgt to be married wile on MSG duty (but I'm sure you know that). If you get married after he's over there, then he's going to have to change his orders to accompanied so you can get command sponsorship. I don't have experience with that, but a lot of ladies on here do, so I hope they see this and can give you more insight.

Good luck!

5. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    As the wife of a Det Commander for a group of MSG you will probably host many events in your home, surrounding the military assigned to an embassy and the MSG guys under your husband's supervision. Being that MSG's are assigned to embassy's overseas, your chance for employment is pretty slim unless you are able to get a job at the embassy but it may not in your career of choice. Housing will more than likely be assigned from the embassy housing pool, depending on the embassy. There's no base housing, no commissary (you may have access to one in country, depending on where you go) but often not. You may or may not get a commissary flight once a month (not sure if they still do that). You may have a post doctor/nurse, but you may have to get your care in the community. Your pet will depend on the country you go to. For instance, US Embassy Barbados, when I went, required a 6 month quarantine in the UK...at my expense.

I would recommend you get married before he gets into the MSG program. MSG is a special program and will more than likely require a special screening, not only of him, but of you as well. It involves much more than a normal overseas assignment. If you wait to get married you may or may not be able to get to that assignment due to the time required.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you so much! I truly appreciate your first hand experience. I also greatly appreciate you sharing your experience about having to quarantine your dog. He is our child, and that expense, I feel, is certainly worth it! I already host many events at my house for all of my fiancee's Marines. So, it seems like the only thing that changes is our location and ease of grocery shopping and medical care. HaHa. How long were you/your spouse on MSG duty? Where did you get to go? Again, thanks KarmaRocks!