Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Force After Cancer?

1. Senior Member

Air Force After Cancer?

Advertisements
    Mods, I'm not sure if this is in the right forum. If not, please feel free to move.

I have a student, M, who is now in remission from cancer. She is not doing well in classes because she doesn't have the motivation to push her at the moment. I think battling cancer for the past 3 years has really drained her. However, now she is starting to ask questions about the future.

At a meeting with her parents yesterday, she mentioned being interested in the Air Force and didn't know if she could ever join due to the cancer diagnosis. I have no idea.

Does anyone here know? She is currently 15 and has been in remission since February. Are there requirements, such as, she has to be considered cancer free for a certain amount of years?

TIA
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Looks like from others in the interwebs the air force will deny her. Air force is one of the harder branches to get it. Hell I had a friend who's BF couldn't get in because he was rejected for having eczema on his feet. But now the navy is taking him.
    But either way she needs to pass high school to join the military.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    Looks like from others in the interwebs the air force will deny her. Air force is one of the harder branches to get it. Hell I had a friend who's BF couldn't get in because he was rejected for having eczema on his feet. But now the navy is taking him.
    But either way she needs to pass high school to join the military.
    Thank you. Her counselor and admin dropped the ball with her. I have been pushing her through my class at every turn. We, parents, special ed teachers, etc... feel that if she sees that her life is going to continue and that cancer isn't going to end everything she might turn around. She is a sweet girl and a smart kid. I can only imagine what having cancer at 12 has done to her emotionally. I'm wondering about other branches then? Maybe Navy?
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    individuals who have a history of childhood cancer who have not received any surgical or medical cancer therapy for 5 years and are free of cancer;

Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military | Military.com

But to have a chance 5 years of being cancer free.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    individuals who have a history of childhood cancer who have not received any surgical or medical cancer therapy for 5 years and are free of cancer;

Medical Conditions That May Prevent You From Joining the Military | Military.com

But to have a chance 5 years of being cancer free.
    Awesome! Thank you. I am just trying to find someway to help motivate this girl. She deserves a chance to change everything and do well in school and life.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    Thank you. Her counselor and admin dropped the ball with her. I have been pushing her through my class at every turn. We, parents, special ed teachers, etc... feel that if she sees that her life is going to continue and that cancer isn't going to end everything she might turn around. She is a sweet girl and a smart kid. I can only imagine what having cancer at 12 has done to her emotionally. I'm wondering about other branches then? Maybe Navy?
    I would try talking with the Army first. It's true, Air Force and Marines are the most difficult to get into ATM because they are in the position to be extremely picky right now (people with quite a few years in the military are being asked to leave).

I'm almost positive the answer is no. DH is a Marine Recruiter so I can ask him about it when he gets off. But, in my personal experience, I was disqualified for needing to take Thyroid hormones (aside from that I'm perfectly healthy). Something as little as that can permanently DQ a person from joining.

7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I would try talking with the Army first. It's true, Air Force and Marines are the most difficult to get into ATM because they are in the position to be extremely picky right now (people with quite a few years in the military are being asked to leave).

I'm almost positive the answer is no. DH is a Marine Recruiter so I can ask him about it when he gets off. But, in my personal experience, I was disqualified for needing to take Thyroid hormones (aside from that I'm perfectly healthy). Something as little as that can permanently DQ a person from joining.
    DH says no. I only know this because one of his poolees wanted his girlfriend to join and she has been cancer free for six years.

Yes, five years is the magic number, but the Marine Corps isn't taking anyone with previous cancer at the moment.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    DH says no. I only know this because one of his poolees wanted his girlfriend to join and she has been cancer free for six years.

Yes, five years is the magic number, but the Marine Corps isn't taking anyone with previous cancer at the moment.
    Yeah, I figured as much.

Currently, they really only want people who have (for the most part) a perfectly clean medical record.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Yeah, I figured as much.

Currently, they really only want people who have (for the most part) a perfectly clean medical record.
    Don't even get me started with kids that pop up with a rash or mosquito bite the day of MEPS.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twistertwin View Post
    Don't even get me started with kids that pop up with a rash or mosquito bite the day of MEPS.

Then they have to drive them allllllllllllll the way back (usually at some ungodly hour).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast