Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Worried about DB's "job choice"

  1. Regular Member
    Bravesgirl's Avatar
    Bravesgirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    #1

    Neutral Worried about DB's "job choice"

    Advertisements
    Good morning everyone

    Not sure if this is the correct forum. I didn't exactly know where to post this....please move if necessary.
    Now time to get to the point...I am worried about my DBs "job choice" if that's what you call it. He's currently at basic training for the Navy and he went in as a PACT Seaman, "unassigned"? I've heard AWFUL things about this and I'm really worried that he is going to hate it and regret his decision. I tried asking him and talking to him about it before he left. I had read about and heard that it's awful and he said "it's just rumors" and I'm scared his recruiter really screwed him and made it sound good....when it's not. Is it just rumors? Or is his life really going to suck??
  2. Senior Member
    CountryStrong's Avatar
    CountryStrong is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,984

    #2
    I have no idea what the job is or would be like, hopefully some of our Navy experts can help. However, just wanted to offer

    Where have you heard the rumors? From others in the job?
  3. Regular Member
    Bravesgirl's Avatar
    Bravesgirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    I have no idea what the job is or would be like, hopefully some of our Navy experts can help. However, just wanted to offer

    Where have you heard the rumors? From others in the job?
    Thank you
    I have heard it from some military members and others were from online posts. Which you can't believe everything you read on the Internet!
  4. Senior Member
    CountryStrong's Avatar
    CountryStrong is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,984

    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesgirl View Post
    Thank you
    I have heard it from some military members and others were from online posts. Which you can't believe everything you read on the Internet!
    Very true. Like I said earlier, I hope some of our Navy experts can help you out!
  5. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #5
    Did he do any research, outside of talking to his recruiter?

    In the end, this is his job and his life and his call. You expressed a concern and he chose not to listen, for whatever reason. Now you need to step back and respect his choice. He's a grown man and he makes adult decisions and lives with the consequences. And don't borrow trouble. Worrying about it now does absolutely nothing except stress you and him out.

    As for his life sucking, there are people in every job who think their life sucks. No one can really say whether he will be one of those or not. It's always a gamble, not matter the job.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    CountryStrong's Avatar
    CountryStrong is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,984

    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Did he do any research, outside of talking to his recruiter?

    In the end, this is his job and his life and his call. You expressed a concern and he chose not to listen, for whatever reason. Now you need to step back and respect his choice. He's a grown man and he makes adult decisions and lives with the consequences. And don't borrow trouble. Worrying about it now does absolutely nothing except stress you and him out.

    As for his life sucking, there are people in every job who think their life sucks. No one can really say whether he will be one of those or not. It's always a gamble, not matter the job.
    To the bolded, Villanelle is 100% right. A very important statement that I did not mention in my previous posts.
  7. Regular Member
    Bravesgirl's Avatar
    Bravesgirl is offline
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    147
    #7
    I understand that it's his choice. That is fine. I was just wondering if those things were true or not.
  8. Senior Member
    Candice.'s Avatar
    Candice. is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Both back at home, Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    5,644
    #8
    Well when my husband joined the marines he went in open like that it basically said they picked his job and he got admin which I guess people do hate but he just sat at a desk all day and that's why people hate it, it's boring. Nothing scary. I mean I guess it could be but from what I always heard if you go in open you get the boring job that nobody wants.
  9. Senior Member
    Deifick's Avatar
    Deifick is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,262
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravesgirl View Post
    Good morning everyone

    Not sure if this is the correct forum. I didn't exactly know where to post this....please move if necessary.
    Now time to get to the point...I am worried about my DBs "job choice" if that's what you call it. He's currently at basic training for the Navy and he went in as a PACT Seaman, "unassigned"? I've heard AWFUL things about this and I'm really worried that he is going to hate it and regret his decision. I tried asking him and talking to him about it before he left. I had read about and heard that it's awful and he said "it's just rumors" and I'm scared his recruiter really screwed him and made it sound good....when it's not. Is it just rumors? Or is his life really going to suck??
    So tired of people blaming the recruiter for stuff like this...

    He chose this career. He chose this rate (Navy calls it rate, right?). He even told you what you heard were just rumors, so let it go. Everyone's opinion of their job is different, even if two people have the same job they can have different opinions. You really need to listen to what he thinks of his job because that's all that matters. Also, if he ends up not liking it, he can get out of the military after his enlistment is over or go through the proper channels to change it.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    JennyJennJenn's Avatar
    JennyJennJenn is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Me- NJ Him- Oklahoma
    Posts
    7,661


    #10
    Usually, while recruiter do "try to sell" jobs, they make sure that it's a job that's going to fit the person, and they suggest doing getting information outside of them as well. My guess is, if he chose it, it's what he wants to do! Of course not everyone likes their job, it wouldn't be work if you didn't hate it a little bit right? Like some of the others above said, it's his life, he's a big boy, he'll be fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •