Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Active to Guard?

1. Senior Member

Active to Guard?

Advertisements
    Does anyone have any experience transitioning directly from AD to the National Guard? DH is considering it and I guess I'm just looking for any pros or cons and whatnot.
  2. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    Does anyone have any experience transitioning directly from AD to the National Guard? DH is considering it and I guess I'm just looking for any pros or cons and whatnot.
    DH is guard. We have quite a few friends that have gone AD to Guard and vice versa. What are your specific questions about guard or the process?
  3. Senior Member
    We know a lot of people who did it because of force reductions. They have the option of paying for medical insurance, usually much cheaper than other insurance plans. They get retirement credit etc too.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    DH is guard. We have quite a few friends that have gone AD to Guard and vice versa. What are your specific questions about guard or the process?
    I'm not sure really mostly I guess things like how it differs from AD, how much time they actually spend doing army stuff, all those questions that totally vary from person to person and aren't really worth asking IDK, my head is spinning with ets stuff.
  5. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by maegan View Post
    I'm not sure really mostly I guess things like how it differs from AD, how much time they actually spend doing army stuff, all those questions that totally vary from person to person and aren't really worth asking IDK, my head is spinning with ets stuff.
    I understand.

I'll give you my experience with DH.

Once a month, he has a drill weekend. A weekend away with the Army. It varies how long he is gone. Sometimes he is gone Friday-Sunday evening and others just Saturday and Sunday. He has Annual Training, or AT every summer normally for 2 weeks. However, this year and last he has gone to Korea for a month.

Guard can still deploy just like an AD unit. DH was deployed for a year from 2011 to 2012. The main difference, from what I know, is that guard can be called up to help with snowstorms, flooding, and other issues locally. DH was called up for a week during the Baltimore riots a couple of weeks ago.

Hope that helps!