Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Military ID

1. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver

Question about Military ID

Advertisements
    Soooo, E was promoted (yay!) to Sergeant in November, and I'm not sure how this whole ID thing works Do I have to get my ID updated? If so, does he need to be there, or can I go by myself?
  2. Moderator

Technically, I think you're supposed to. I didn't for a while when DH last got promoted and they scolded me minimally when I finally went in, but nothing major. I'd do it to be safe but I'm pretty sure there's not a huge rush. I've never had to take him with me to renew/update my ID unless it had expired.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope. In fact they generally won't let you get a new ID until yours is ready to expire. (dependent ID we are talking about, correct?)
    They won't replace it just because of increase in grade.
    At least in my experience.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Senior Member
    They replaced ours. We didn't go in until over a year after the promotion because we just kept forgetting. I'm pretty sure either he needs to be with you or he has to fill out a form that you take with you if he's not going in with you.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    No, you don't have to. There has only been 1 advancement when I needed to and that is when he went ommission from enlisted. Other than that I just wait til it is going to expire. And then, yes, he either needs to be there or you need a POA (general or specific depends on where you go...some places are with a general and others require a specific) or he needs to have gotten another form for you, a DD...bunch of numbers I can never remember. Lol
  6. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Technically, I think you're supposed to. I didn't for a while when DH last got promoted and they scolded me minimally when I finally went in, but nothing major. I'd do it to be safe but I'm pretty sure there's not a huge rush. I've never had to take him with me to renew/update my ID unless it had expired.

but I think the AF is weird like that.

ETA: I would call and ask.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  7. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

DH was promoted twice by the time I went and got a new one. I only went because mine expired. no one said anything when I went and got a new one.
  8. Senior Member
    You can go by yourself with the form (Department of Defense Form 1173 that is signed and has his new rank) if he isn't with you and two forms of ID. You can use your military ID as one because it's not expired yet. DH just hands me the form and tells me to get it done when I can. The form expires in 3 months or 90 days or something after it's signed. Otherwise, you'd have to get a new form.

And congrats to him!!!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Congrats on the rank.

some depends on your base. At our last 3 bases, you didn't go in to get it changed unless your ID expired. I see it as a waste of time as it means nothing to me as it isn't my rank. I shop at the commy, bx, and gas station. They don't need the rank for those.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Nope. In fact they generally won't let you get a new ID until yours is ready to expire. (dependent ID we are talking about, correct?)
    They won't replace it just because of increase in grade.
    At least in my experience.
    This was my experience too despite mine still having the ssn and wrong rank. I went because it was going to expire soon and they wouldn't give me a new one because it was more than x number of days before the expiration. They said it wouldn't register in their system. Bull cookies since there was even a notice about changing at some point, but no point in arguing with bureaucracy.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast