Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Questions About JAG?!

1. Regular Member

Confused Questions About JAG?!

Advertisements
    So DB graduated with a criminal justice degree and a minor in political science. He always has talked about going to law school, but right now financially it is not possible for us. He already has quite a few student loans (after we used his GI bill) to pay off, so unfortunately student loans are out of the question.

Lately he has been talking about trying to go JAG. We know he needs to go to law school and pass the bar first. My question for you guys is does any service assist in paying for school? Or have a program prior to graduating? We saw something about Air Force having one? DB also has one year left on his army contract, how does that work with switching branches?

We obviously have no clue about any of this any help is appreciated!!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Jag is incredibly competitive now. Too manu unemployed lawyers.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. Senior Member
    DH was Army infantry, then Army National Guard, then did law school and now is Navy JAG. The transition from Army to Navy has been totally awesome (locations are way better, people are much nicer, and no 15 month deployments)! Law school was REALLY rough but he is happy in his job which is more than I can say for many of his fellow classmates.

For the majority of cases I don't think the military will pay for law school. When you join JAG you commit to 4 years active and 4 years inactive. If you commit to additional time you get $30,000 and if you stay in longer than that you get another $30,000 to help pay for loans. I know its very hard to get selected (4-8%). I'm happy to answer more questions so feel free to ask!
  4. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by LAXgirl561 View Post
    So DB graduated with a criminal justice degree and a minor in political science. He always has talked about going to law school, but right now financially it is not possible for us. He already has quite a few student loans (after we used his GI bill) to pay off, so unfortunately student loans are out of the question.

Lately he has been talking about trying to go JAG. We know he needs to go to law school and pass the bar first. My question for you guys is does any service assist in paying for school? Or have a program prior to graduating? We saw something about Air Force having one? DB also has one year left on his army contract, how does that work with switching branches?

We obviously have no clue about any of this any help is appreciated!!
    Army and Air Force both have programs that reimburse loans. Air Force has a 4% acceptance rate and will pay back $45,000 over 3 years, but it's taxable. Last I checked, navy, marine corps and coast guard did not.

I know officers can apply to go to law school, but I don't know anything about that process.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by be: pistachio View Post
    Army and Air Force both have programs that reimburse loans. Air Force has a 4% acceptance rate and will pay back $45,000 over 3 years, but it's taxable. Last I checked, navy, marine corps and coast guard did not.

I know officers can apply to go to law school, but I don't know anything about that process.
    Before he decides anything, he should go and talk to the people in JAG. There are also recruiters who recruit especially for JAG, and they will be able to answer his questions.

But...if he still has a lot of student loan debt already, I would be hesitant about taking out more to go to Law School. He will graduate with about $100,000 or more in additional debt. If he does not get accepted into JAG, he could really be screwed. The employment outlook for new law school grads are miserable. There are I believe about 10-20 new grads for every available law job which hires new grads. I recently applied for a public defender position. There were over 1000 applicants for 20 open positions. If he does not graduate at the top of his class from a top tiered school, his prospects get even worse.

Criminal Justice is a wonderful major, but it has very little to do with actually practicing criminal law. (That is what I do now).
    Basically, law is a horrible career field right now. And add the cost of the education on top of that, and it gets outright scary. I am friends with attorney's who graduated top law schools struggling to find work.

His best bet is to talk to JAG. When I looked at it a few years ago, you could apply as an active duty to JAG, and if accepted, they would help put you through school.

He should also talk to ALL the branches.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  6. Regular Member
    Thank you for all your help guys!!!! I really appreciate it!!!