Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Navy RDC

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Navy RDC

Advertisements
    Hey everyone. I searched the forum and noticed all the RDC threads are pretty old. I was wondering if anyone has been to RDC in the past few years and could give some advice. We are looking at RDC for my husbands next orders. We have heard it is great for advancement but can be very stressful and hard on a family. My husband is worried about the long hours and not seeing us much. So any tips/advice/stories would be great! Thank you.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We left Great Lakes in 2009. You've probably seen my posts about it if you've done a search. If memory serves me right, we were the last to leave that are still on the site. I'm happy to answer whatever questions you have. Especially if you don't see them in my other posts.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for responding! What did your husband think of being an RDC? Was it really hard on him? And how many divisions do they push during their time there? Its been so hard for us to find out information on RDC from someone who has actually been there.
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It was very hard on him. Very stressful. Even though he was 'here', not deployed, he really wasn't and missed the same things he did while deployed. Granted it is much easier for them to work with him if something comes up or for him to meet up with you around the recruits' schedule. For instance, if you want to meet for lunch or have a dr appt. It didn't happen a lot but we were able to make it happen here and there.

He pushed 8 divisions including the one as a blue rope, which he finished off as a red rope. He did have 2 hold jobs though, one at live fire and FQA (the group that makes sure the RDCs are training the recruits correctly). Had he not been picked for FQA he could have easily pushed another 3/4 divisions before we left.

The time there was a blur at times for him. He didn't realize how much he missed at home or how fast the time went until 1-2 years after we left. Even now, 5 years later, he'll make comments about how much he missed and how fast that time went for him. However, he would be fine going back. There have been several times he has brought up missing pushing boots.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the information! Do you guys feel like it helped his career? Also, do you remember how long the screening/application process took? For us it's between RDC and a sea duty command where he would deploy a lot. I really appreciate you answering my questions
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Oh, no problem!

The screening process, from what I remember was 3-4 months. Even then, he had to attend the school once there and if he had failed then he wouldn't have gotten his red rope. Not sure how they're doing this now, but right after we got there they stopped moving families until after the member got his red rope. They were having such a high fail rate in the school that it was costing too much money to move the families there and then somewhere else if they couldn't get the member orders in Great Lakes somewhere.

Career wise, yes. Very much so. He made chief, senior chief and then CWO first time up/submitted package. He did all that in the 5 years since we've left there.