Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Linguist?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Linguist?

Advertisements
    Does anyone have an SO in it or know what the job is like? Dh wants to go back and train for it. He knows most of what the job entails, but I was just wondering if anyone had experience in what the day to day job is like.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    At DH's last unit he worked with linguists. Since it was a combat unit they did a lot of sitting and waiting around (aka mowing the lawn and vehicle service) but were able to go to the training room once a week to maintain their skills. I can't remember if they actually did any translating when they deployed. From my complete non-military outsider spouse perspective it seems mostly everyone ends up doing 35f work. His friend pcs'd to one of the schools and is now doing admin/sgt stuff. I've heard there are some locations where they do translations intel but I really don't know. I think the bonuses are still good and promotion prospects are still good as well.

edit *woops your spouse is air force yes? DH is army I am not sure about air force at all.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    At DH's last unit he worked with linguists. Since it was a combat unit they did a lot of sitting and waiting around (aka mowing the lawn and vehicle service) but were able to go to the training room once a week to maintain their skills. I can't remember if they actually did any translating when they deployed. From my complete non-military outsider spouse perspective it seems mostly everyone ends up doing 35f work. His friend pcs'd to one of the schools and is now doing admin/sgt stuff. I've heard there are some locations where they do translations intel but I really don't know. I think the bonuses are still good and promotion prospects are still good as well.

edit *woops your spouse is air force yes? DH is army I am not sure about air force at all.
    Yes he is . I was wayyyy confused for a second. Thanks though!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  4. Moderator

Training is very long and taxing, and the job can be very rough, but the family lifestyle is possibly the most stable of any AF job code. You're welcome to PM me for more info.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSisterWife View Post
    Training is very long and taxing, and the job can be very rough, but the family lifestyle is possibly the most stable of any AF job code. You're welcome to PM me for more info.
    Thank you!!!!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. Senior Member
    Seriously rough training, like Holly said. It really messed with my ex-DF's head, unfortunately. Though that isn't the case for everyone, of course. It's just not training to take lightly. Let me know if you'd like to chat about it at any point!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    Seriously rough training, like Holly said. It really messed with my ex-DF's head, unfortunately. Though that isn't the case for everyone, of course. It's just not training to take lightly. Let me know if you'd like to chat about it at any point!
    Okay thank you!!

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey