Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USAF First Sergeant Duty

1. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman

USAF First Sergeant Duty

Advertisements
    Dh is thinking to apply for 1st Sgt duty(AF) next year. I am curious on how the assignment works. Would he be able to put in BOP overseas & stateside or they just automatically gives him whatever base(if he gets the job?)

From what he's told me, they changed the special duty selection and he'd have to put in 3 choices and needs recommendation form the commander of something like that. But either way, I am more curious on if he'll get a BOP at all or not. So let's assume he gets BOP and puts in Japan and Hawaii. However, they didn't have any opening there, would they come back and gives us choices of what bases available(ie they'd say you can pick Ramstein/Aviano/Travis) or they'll just give him whatever is open without asking him again(ie you got an assignment to Minot)?

Thanks in advance. Sorry I'm just rambling here.
  2. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Hmm...
    I'm not sure.. but I didn't think 1st Shirt was a specific job... more like he is qualified to be a shirt and whatever base he goes to, if he is higher ranking, or only one there who is shirt eligible they will make him shirt.

To my knowledge he won't get BOP. From what I understand being a shirt doesn't make him get whatever base he wants, nor will it guarantee he will be a shirt at his next base.

But I could be wrong.. been a while.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  3. Senior Member
    I thought it was just assigned accordingly at the base you're stationed at. But from what you've said it sounds a lot like going up for recruiter. I hope someone can answer this for you.
  4. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by HerAirmansLove View Post
    I thought it was just assigned accordingly at the base you're stationed at. But from what you've said it sounds a lot like going up for recruiter. I hope someone can answer this for you.
    Yeah.. my thoughts too (which is what i was getting at in my long winded post)..

I don't think its a special duty assignment like recruiting.. I think its just an 'extra' job function that is given when arriving at base.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  5. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Thanks for the responses. I am not sure myself. Hubby said its a special duty that you apply for. He might be wrong though or I might have misunderstood him.

From my understanding if you get the duty, the afsc will become 8F000 and you have to get released from your original afsc.
  6. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I am not sure myself. Hubby said its a special duty that you apply for. He might be wrong though or I might have misunderstood him.

From my understanding if you get the duty, the afsc will become 8F000 and you have to get released from your original afsc.
    Hmmm I've never heard of that for 1st Shirt.
    I've heard of that do things like Honor Guard, or Postal or another special duty assignment.

8F000 is the generic AFSC for those who do not have a career field or who request to come out of it for special duty. I would think since there is a shirt for every squadron then there wouldn't need to be a special duty 8F000 afsc.

I guess I don't know either. Every shirt my hubby has had has been in the career field, his AFSC. They have not been 8F000. My hubby has even sat as a shirt while the shirt was on vacay. So, I'm not sure how it could be considered special duty since anyone of the proper rank can serve as a shirt.

7. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Hmmm I've never heard of that for 1st Shirt.
    I've heard of that do things like Honor Guard, or Postal or another special duty assignment.

8F000 is the generic AFSC for those who do not have a career field or who request to come out of it for special duty. I would think since there is a shirt for every squadron then there wouldn't need to be a special duty 8F000 afsc.

I guess I don't know either. Every shirt my hubby has had has been in the career field, his AFSC. They have not been 8F000. My hubby has even sat as a shirt while the shirt was on vacay. So, I'm not sure how it could be considered special duty since anyone of the proper rank can serve as a shirt.
    Thanks for the input. I guess we'll find out next year when hubby is eligible to apply for special duties. I was just too curious about it because he never wanted to become one and is just now changing his mind about it. Hopefully, he'll ask more about the process and let me know =)
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Yeah.. I hope he gets some answers.
    I know hubby got asked to go to shirt school (or whatever it is called) but he didn't want to be a regular one. He didn't want the special stripes.. he just wanted to be a substitute... he said it was too much work.

9. Senior Member
    My husband has always told me they get no say which is the main reason why he'd never put a package in, lol. I hate when DH has weekend duty so no way I'd want him to be a shirt. It's a tough job and super hard to promote in. It's been my experience that shirts are in different career fields from those in which they serve to eliminate issues such as dealing with friends etc from previous bases. It is a special duty assignment and last I heard requires school beforehand.
  10. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Yeah.. I hope he gets some answers.
    I know hubby got asked to go to shirt school (or whatever it is called) but he didn't want to be a regular one. He didn't want the special stripes.. he just wanted to be a substitute... he said it was too much work.
    Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    My husband has always told me they get no say which is the main reason why he'd never put a package in, lol. I hate when DH has weekend duty so no way I'd want him to be a shirt. It's a tough job and super hard to promote in. It's been my experience that shirts are in different career fields from those in which they serve to eliminate issues such as dealing with friends etc from previous bases. It is a special duty assignment and last I heard requires school beforehand.
    Thanks ladies. Yeah hubby said it could be a lot of work. He never wanted to do it but since the special duty process changed (I think since last year) he thinks he'd have to put in 3 choices. He has 2 that he really wants to do and he doesn't wanna be recommended for something he'd hate to do(like MTI) so he started looking at 1st Sgt duty. So he couldn't put in 3 choices instead of the blank 3rd choice. Hopefully, IF ever he gets 1st sgt, we'd be in a quiet base lol. The acting shirt here right now hasnt gotten a call since he stepped in about 6 months ago or so.

I am hoping we'll just get a regular advance assignment somewhere in Japan or Hawaii before the special duty recommendations are due. =D
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast