Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Security clearance and debt

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Security clearance and debt

Advertisements
    We have a bit of debt, all credit card debt. Always paid on time etc.
    What type of debt can effect a secret clearance?

I'm just wondering since someone in another thread mentioned someone got denied one because of debt!
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

We have debt - cars, credit card, and a small student loan of mine - and DH has a pretty high clearance (he's a nuke on subs, someone who knows a both clearances in the navy could tell you what he has)
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    We have debt - cars, credit card, and a small student loan of mine - and DH has a pretty high clearance (he's a nuke on subs, someone who knows a both clearances in the navy could tell you what he has)
    We only have roughly $4400, if we weren't pcs we would dump our savings into it. But having that savings is more important moving right now.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    We only have roughly $4400, if we weren't pcs we would dump our savings into it. But having that savings is more important moving right now.
    We definitely have more than that. One car is an Audi SUV and we're only a couple years into a 5y loan. I know it's not a guarantee just because you have less than we do but I don't think $4400 is gonna keep him from getting a clearance.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KnittingGuamMama View Post
    We definitely have more than that. One car is an Audi SUV and we're only a couple years into a 5y loan. I know it's not a guarantee just because you have less than we do but I don't think $4400 is gonna keep him from getting a clearance.
    I'm just paranoid the perfect orders and they cancel them for something silly would be our luck
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Mac N Cheese View Post
    I'm just paranoid the perfect orders and they cancel them for something silly would be our luck
    Trust me, having been on the receiving end of having orders and then not all of a sudden, now four times in the last two years, I understand the paranoia I'm really happy for you guys getting Langley, though!!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Much depends on if you are late, haven't paid for awhile, ect. Negative things. I think it is more if you are mismanaging everything.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Its not so much that just the debt alone would deny someone. There are many factors such as, more debt than income. If you have a high debt to income ratio this can be negative and affect a clearance because it can be seen as a potential risk that someone may take bribes or the like due to financial stress.

Another factor is delinquency. If you have any it could be a problem because again, there is a risk for a pay out from enemies.
    Last edited by TrishAFSpouse; 04-29-2014 at 06:40 AM.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  9. Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    Don't ever settle for less than you deserve.
    From what I understand it would mostly effect it. If you were to end up having like collections claims filed. Then stuff that could effect the security clearance in a bad way would also be. Say you were paying off a car and stopped paying on it. Then the company/bank or whomever you were making payments to took the car. That is something that could effect having a security Clarence.

So basically being in so much debt to can't pay the monthly payments on all the debt. Is what you want to avoid, but there are lots of obvious reasons to not want that much debt.

You should be fine and actually being able to say the only debt y'all have. Is a credit card y'all don't even owe a lot on? Yeah y'all are doing pretty darn good. We had way more debt then that(like 7times that a couple years ago.) It wasn't something we had to worry about when it came time to renew DH's clearance though. Since everything was paid on time,sometimes ahead of time.

Oh and debt to income is something else to think about. Like say you only make 37k a year. You don't want more debt than you make so you wouldn't want to have like 47k-100k in bad debt.. That is not only bad in general, but it is considered dilquinecy if you let the debt you in get that out of control.
    Signature removed due to size.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TrishAFSpouse View Post
    Its not so much that just the debt allow would deny someone. There are many factors such as, more debt than income. If you have a high debt to income ratio this can be negative and affect a clearance because it can be seen as a potential risk that someone may take bribes or the like due to financial stress.

Another factor is delinquency. If you have any it could be a problem because again, there is a risk for a pay out from enemies.
    Ok that makes sense. I think we are ok. We only missed a payment once a few years ago, but everything been taken care of etc. I'm just a worrier! plus we paid off his car this year so I'm sure that looks good.
    Thanks ya''l for answering my paranoid questions.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast