Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Promotion ceremony

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Promotion ceremony

Advertisements
    So, DH is getting promoted soon. I'm invited to participate in the ceremony, and I don't know how I feel about this.

First of all, it's his accomplishment, not mine. I mean when I graduate university, it'll be the chancellor who hands me my diploma, right? Not my hubby. Second, we've been married less than a month. If we'd been together for years and I'd sacrificed and supported his career, maybe it would feel different, and I hope to be that kind of wife in the future, but now? I don't know if it feels right.

What are your thoughts? How have you participated in promotion ceremonies, and did you enjoy it?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JessNova View Post
    So, DH is getting promoted soon. I'm invited to participate in the ceremony, and I don't know how I feel about this.

First of all, it's his accomplishment, not mine. I mean when I graduate university, it'll be the chancellor who hands me my diploma, right? Not my hubby. Second, we've been married less than a month. If we'd been together for years and I'd sacrificed and supported his career, maybe it would feel different, and I hope to be that kind of wife in the future, but now? I don't know if it feels right.

What are your thoughts? How have you participated in promotion ceremonies, and did you enjoy it?
    I never have. My husband just doesn't find it a big deal I guess. He's made 2 ranks since we've been married. Maybe if he ever makes Chief?
  3. Moderator

In what way have you been asked to participate?
  4. scotlandgrl53
    scotlandgrl53
    Blog Entries
    I punched my DH's rank on his chest. Honestly it was like a five minute "ceremony" I felt awkward being surrounded by the soldiers and stuff but not awkward punching it onto DH's chest. And he wanted me to do it so
    I need a
    a
    I don't have forever or

So don't let me

I AshleyO
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    What does he want? Sure it feels like you did nothing but in the long end you have supported his job and sure maybe you weren't married but even than you still helped him along.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by JessNova; 03-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    If he invited you, than do it.
    don't think of it as "I havent supported him in the past"
    but as
    "I am showing him that I am with him for the next 20 years! (or however long)
    a promotion is about the future.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    When my husband got winged I was the only person on stage with him. Others had parents and some kids but his parents couldn't come out and my parents refused to come up there since they felt it belonged to his parents who should be up there....so I stood their alone.

Two days prior we went for a bike ride and well needless to say I was being stupid and crashed the bike. I scrapped up my knee and part of my foot. I was so embarrassed that the CO and XO where going to see this since I was wearing a dress. I was so afraid of tripping up the stairs to the stage and making a complete full of myself. I just put his wings on and that was it. Most families punched them in but since it was just me I couldn't bring myself to punching them on I was so embarrassed just being the only one there I couldn't wait to get off that stage. But I know my husband wanted me to put the wings on even if I didn't want to be the only person in his family to show up.

I did it even though I didn't want to because I knew it meant a lot to him.
  9. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by JessNova View Post
    I can pin on his new rank, if I want. I'm really really conflicted. On the one hand I'm glad to hear it's not semi-compulsory. I'm really unsure about this whole military world (we had nothing military at the wedding - all the pomp and circumstance intimidates me a bit because I'm terrified I'll do something wrong.) On the other I am SO VERY PROUD of him, and while he says it's up to me, I think he wants me to and I don't want to hurt his feelings at all.

What if I mess up?
    You really can't mess up pinning on rank. It's actually kind of a funny part of the ceremony. I think, and please don't take this wrong because I mean it without any major criticism, but you're being a little self-centered. Not in the way we usually use that term, but you seem so concerned about how awkward/out-of-place you feel about it that you're not thinking about how he feels about it. If he asked you to do it then obviously it means something to him to have you do it and I think you should do it.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Last edited by JessNova; 03-20-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast