Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: USMC 2111 Small Arms Repair

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

USMC 2111 Small Arms Repair

Advertisements
    So, my husband has the paperwork stating he's in for 2111, and leaving for boot in about a month. I'm nervous as all get out of course, and even more so because there's not a lot of information out there about his job. I know to start off with he'll be doing really basic things, cleaning and counting, but I need to know more.

If anyone else has any experience with this MOS, here's my questions.
    - How long is the schooling for it?
    - Where is the schooling for it?
    - How likely is he to see combat as compared to someone who is infantry?

No one in my family or his has even been military, so we're trying to sort this out. I know I could ask his recruiter, but he's got enough to handle with distraught parents and such, since they ship in a month. Can you wonderful ladies (or gents) give me any information you have? It would be much appreciated.

-- Alysha
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Marine Corps Enlisted Job Descriptions -- 2111 -- Small Arms Repairer/Technician

2111 Small Arms Repairer/Technician | Marine Corps MOS

school is about 10 weeks and I believe it is still at Aberdeen Proving Ground in MD

and they are completely 100% deployable with infantry since they are the ones that take care of the guns and bullets infantry uses.

Google was my friend
  3. Senior Member
    my husband is 2111, just finished school last year. Schooling took about 3 months, at Fort Lee in Virginia. When he was there they were backed up, so it was about a month before he picked up classes, so he was there at the schoolhouse a total of 4ish months.

As for how likely he is to see combat, I honestly don't know since DH has only been in the fleet since Nov. But that completely depends on the unit he is with. Some armorers get put with infantry units, some don't. One of DH's DI's at boot was a 2112 (which means he was a 2111 first) and he was the only one of his DIs (in the company, maybe just in the platoon) besides infantry guys who had actually been in combat.

But he may not even get put with an infantry unit. So try not to worry about deployments/combat/units until he finishes boot and MOS!
  4. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks! That jibes with what I've found online so far. As it gets closer, I get more nervous and more excited simultaneously!
  5. Vandelay Industries
    Vandelay Industries
    My ex was 2111.

3 months of schooling. He went to Aberdeen Proving Grounds but after he left I heard they are no longer using it (that was in 2010).

He deployed twice to Afghanistan in four years. He primarily stayed at Camp Leatherneck, I would say 9 out of the 12 months of the deployment I was with him for. He had to travel to a couple small FOB's to help out. That required being on a convoy and comms was very spotty while he was away. Let me know if you have any other questions.