Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marine Corps recruting duty

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Confused Marine Corps recruting duty

Advertisements
    Dh just got selected for recruiting duty..any insight, thoughts, or advice? I seen some of the other threads but nothing is really recent.
    Thanks!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My husband spent four years on recruiting duty - one as a canvassing recruiter, two as a the NCOIC of his RSS (Recruiting Sub-Station) and his final year at the RS/MEPS as the MEPS liason. Overall, it was not a horrible tour for our family on a family level or for my husband on a career/professional level. There were plenty of downsides and times when I/we hated the duty - but there were also a lot of good things about the duty and times that we, dare I say, enjoyed it. Are there specific concerns or questions you have? It might be easier to know just what you're looking to know rather than telling you a bunch of stuff you don't really care about.
    One thing to keep in mind, your experience with RD will be just that - *your* experience. The risk in hearing too much ahead of time is that you can let the experiences of others color your own experience - ie go into it expecting to hate it and be miserable which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy when you *may* have not had such a negative experience had you not been looking for it to be negative.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

my dad was a career recruiter for the Marines and loved it. he misses it to this day lol. i have no experience as an so with a family dealing with it but for some guys it works.
  4. Senior Member
    DH had been selected for recruiting duty as well. He has not gone recruiting yet, but it is still on the horizon. When he first got the news, I rushed to Google and this site to see what "it was sure to be like". What I found was a LOT of very vocal people who raved about how fucking horrible it all was.

What I came to feel was that, ultimately, there were going to be pros and cons (like anything in life, especially military) and that it would be what I made of it. And, MY pros and cons were guaranteed to be different than anyone else's pros and cons.

One of the things I read over and over again was how much they worked and how they were gone All. The. Time. But, for me, at our last duty station, DH typically worked from 7am to 7pm, so I was used to him working long hours. I was used to him working on the weekends or being gone for training (not forced military training, tactical training from civilian companies). Additionally, the more that I read, the more I discovered that hours and how long the spouse was gone at work was COMPLETELY dependent on the duty station. And, really, grab a dart and a map and go to town.

I would say, go into it with an open mind. Treat it like every other duty station. You'll love some things and hate others. But, remember that it's always temporary.
  5. Senior Member
    sorry this is so long.

My husband started recruiting school earlier this month. Recruiting school so far is speeches about accomplishments in the marine corp and life in the marine corp. The speeches are very repetitive. You create an outline of your speech and you have to say each thing otherwise you lose points but you aren't supposed to memorize it and you can't read off of anything. If you forget to repeat your main points, you miss a point. If you forget to introduce yourself, you miss a point. Etc They also test you about what would disqualify someone from being able to join, and if there is a waiver required, what that waiver is to qualify them.

They gave him a sheet to fill out about which district and recruiting station he wants. It's bs though. You select your top three districts and two recruiting stations (major city) from each district. Then at the bottom, they have all 6 districts and you have to select two rs's from each district. Even if we want to stay on the west side of the US, we can only choose two recruiting stations in the west district. Then we had to choose two rs's in each district. He started 2-3 weeks ago and we should find out next week where he will get stationed.

Does your husband have a date for recruiting school? Do you have specific questions? It's all new to me too. There were still some people in his class that got dropped because they had visible tattoos, marital or financial problems, did poorly on the speeches, or got in trouble (DUI, arrested, etc) between them getting tested for recruiting duty and starting recruiting school. If you get dropped, it could be bad for your military career.

My husband is also very outgoing and a people person. He can talk to anyone and he is very like able. His instructors said he has good facial expressions and will have no trouble getting kids to like him and want to join. I've told him that all along. I know this is one more thing that will be really good for DH's career because he definitely has the personality and charisma to be successful as a recruiter. He also has the experiences (living in Japan, deployments to Iraq, combat action ribbon, etc) that a young recruit would be interested in hearing about.

I don't know if I have anything to say about actual recruiting duty. We aren't there yet. Maybe I can update you after March when we get settled into it. I haven't read up about anyone else's experiences. We are both very flexible and open to new experiences type of people.
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Grey Mare View Post
    My husband spent four years on recruiting duty - one as a canvassing recruiter, two as a the NCOIC of his RSS (Recruiting Sub-Station) and his final year at the RS/MEPS as the MEPS liason. Overall, it was not a horrible tour for our family on a family level or for my husband on a career/professional level. There were plenty of downsides and times when I/we hated the duty - but there were also a lot of good things about the duty and times that we, dare I say, enjoyed it. Are there specific concerns or questions you have? It might be easier to know just what you're looking to know rather than telling you a bunch of stuff you don't really care about.
    One thing to keep in mind, your experience with RD will be just that - *your* experience. The risk in hearing too much ahead of time is that you can let the experiences of others color your own experience - ie go into it expecting to hate it and be miserable which can become a self-fulfilling prophecy when you *may* have not had such a negative experience had you not been looking for it to be negative.
    Yes I have read the horror stories and just wanted to see some positives I guess so thank you! The other things I would like to know is how long it takes for you to find out where your going. We have been in the same place for 5 years and I have established a career and would like to transfer when the time comes but from what I've read you won't find out until 2 weeks before graduation from recruiting school. Do you have any insight on that? Alsowith the long hours how did you guys make time for each other? Did you have children? Our goal was to begin a family within the next year and a half and I am now wondering how the long hours for them will effect the relationship with kids. I realize that deploying would be worse but to be around but not be able to spend time with a new baby seems difficult as well. I'm not really sure what I'm looking for. I am just stressed out. He has not got his schooling date yet.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Deifick View Post
    sorry this is so long.

My husband started recruiting school earlier this month. Recruiting school so far is speeches about accomplishments in the marine corp and life in the marine corp. The speeches are very repetitive. You create an outline of your speech and you have to say each thing otherwise you lose points but you aren't supposed to memorize it and you can't read off of anything. If you forget to repeat your main points, you miss a point. If you forget to introduce yourself, you miss a point. Etc They also test you about what would disqualify someone from being able to join, and if there is a waiver required, what that waiver is to qualify them.

They gave him a sheet to fill out about which district and recruiting station he wants. It's bs though. You select your top three districts and two recruiting stations (major city) from each district. Then at the bottom, they have all 6 districts and you have to select two rs's from each district. Even if we want to stay on the west side of the US, we can only choose two recruiting stations in the west district. Then we had to choose two rs's in each district. He started 2-3 weeks ago and we should find out next week where he will get stationed.

Does your husband have a date for recruiting school? Do you have specific questions? It's all new to me too. There were still some people in his class that got dropped because they had visible tattoos, marital or financial problems, did poorly on the speeches, or got in trouble (DUI, arrested, etc) between them getting tested for recruiting duty and starting recruiting school. If you get dropped, it could be bad for your military career.

My husband is also very outgoing and a people person. He can talk to anyone and he is very like able. His instructors said he has good facial expressions and will have no trouble getting kids to like him and want to join. I've told him that all along. I know this is one more thing that will be really good for DH's career because he definitely has the personality and charisma to be successful as a recruiter. He also has the experiences (living in Japan, deployments to Iraq, combat action ribbon, etc) that a young recruit would be interested in hearing about.

I don't know if I have anything to say about actual recruiting duty. We aren't there yet. Maybe I can update you after March when we get settled into it. I haven't read up about anyone else's experiences. We are both very flexible and open to new experiences type of people.
    He doesn't have his schooling date yet. How long did it take him to get his date? Yes please keepe updated and PM me if you would!
  8. Senior Member
    The timeline for DH went like this. He got put on the list during the summer. In sep/oct, he found out he starts recruiting school. Some other guys he works with found out they start recruiting school in sept 2014. He found out he starts recruiting school in January. He started recruiting school in early January and finishes Feb 27th. We find out where/if we are moving Jan 30th. He plans to take about 20 days to relocate, if necessary.

On Friday jan 31st, if we find out we are moving, he will put our house up for sale and plan our move. I will put in my notice at my job. My manager already knows what's going on. We have a plan if we move. We have a plan if we don't. It starts the day we find out where his recruiting station is. So in all, it's about one month from the time he finds out where his recruiting station is to actually finishing/graduating recruiting school. Then however many days to move, if necessary.

On a personal note, my husband and I are also at a place where we are ready for kids. I told him that there will never be a perfect time to have kids as long as he's in the military. We will always be waiting for the next move or next assignment or next deployment or next whatever, so we shouldn't base our kid plans on that. I also believe that kids are incredibly resilient to change and challenges as long as you/he/the parent can also adjust to such change/challenges.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you for the timeline. Also you are completely right about kids... keep me updated as thing progress and you have more information please!!