Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ranger School...

1. Regular Member

Ranger School...

Advertisements
    Okay, so the DH is headed to Ranger soon and I need some pointers here. Pretty please!

I get to write letters and I know it all depends on where you send them from but does it take longer than usual to get to them or is it a normal mailing schedule? In my letters should I give him weather updates or would that just be a waste. He doesn't get to write me back or does he? I have read it both ways and upon asking him he laughed and said "yes babe, I'm sure they let everyone take a break from the missions to write their wives." He's so sarcastic. Bleh. Also, are sticks of gum allowed in the letters? I have heard it both ways and then I have heard that they are just not allowed on mountain phase.

Now, I know they get 8 hour passes but do they get to go home if they live on post? He and his buddies also told me that it would be a complete waste of time and money to try and visit during this time. They said that he wouldn't want any of my cooking. Just a huge greasy hamburger, fries, a shake, maybe a few dozen Oreos, and to sleep as much as possible. So that being said, should I try and send a care package to his house at this time or should I send it to the same place that I will send the letters, OR do I not send one at all? Ah! Decisions decisions...

As for graduation. As soon as he passes the last phase he gets a phone call if I am not mistaken. How long will I have to get my booty down to Benning? I have heard several different things regarding this. I have heard that they have a so called "graduation week" and then I have heard that I will be dishing out large amounts of money for a last minute plane ticket. Also, what would be appropriate dress code for that?

Finally, do they get any time off after that? I have heard a few things with this as well. I have heard that they get 2 weeks off and then I have heard that it is really just a hustle to get everything ready to PCS.

As you can see, I have tried to research this as best as possible but I am getting so much information that goes both ways. There is just so much to think about so I guess it's a good thing that I will have 61+ days to figure it all out. Ha....
  2. Senior Member
    There is a great Facebook group for family members of rangers. It provides the official documents about the rules with letters, passes, packages, etc. It's called "Ranger School Support Group."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rangersupport/
  3. Regular Member
    Okay, thanks! I will definitely need to check that out and luckily, the DH has a buddy in Ranger right now so when he comes out for Christmas, we can pick his brain. No better resource than someone who is living it.