Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this appropriate for ALS grad?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Is this appropriate for ALS grad?

Advertisements
    So I bought my dress about a month ago in preparationg for my SO ALS grad in December, and he has now told me that the dresses are supposed to be below the knee and no cleavage. I'm 5'9, so take that into account with the length of the dress...
    https://twitter.com/OnlyCarmel/statu...266240/photo/1
    I just need to know if the dress will be okay, or if I should go and get a different dress.
    I can pin the keyhole at the bottom a little but it won't work going all the way up, I'm not very large breasted so it doesn't open too much, it's just the pose I was in at the time.
    We aren't married yet, so I haven't been to any military functions, apart from the Christmas party due to him being deployed.
    Any help will be much appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Well it definitely is not something I would wear to a graduation. Especially since it will be December.

But nobody is going to ban you from the graduation for wearing it. So if you like it and want to wear it then go ahead.
  3. Senior Member
    I googled ASL graduation because I didn't know what it was...

https://www.google.com/search?q=als+...w=1366&bih=667

Given how people are dressed in those pictures... It looks like it could work, if you like it, go with it. I wouldn't wear black stockings though..it makes it look a little off.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Oh RetepDoc you've made me so nervous now!
    You wouldn't wear it because its not your style or you think its trashy?

I'm only 19, I thought the dress was cute. I was with a Ssgt wife when I bought it, and I've had another Ssgt wife check it.

And the stockings are just what I was wearing when I first tried the dress on in the fitting rooms, but I was thinking about wearing stockings because I have long legs so the dress goes above the knee?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmelB View Post
    Oh RetepDoc you've made me so nervous now!
    You wouldn't wear it because its not your style or you think its trashy?

I'm only 19, I thought the dress was cute. I was with a Ssgt wife when I bought it, and I've had another Ssgt wife check it.

And the stockings are just what I was wearing when I first tried the dress on in the fitting rooms, but I was thinking about wearing stockings because I have long legs so the dress goes above the knee?
    don't be nervous!

It just isn't my style. My thoughts are that the dress is a very cute and fun summer/spring dress since it is sleeveless and has an open front. However, the graduation will be in December and it will be fairly cold. So it is just not what I would wear to a graduation. Especially in December.

I personally tend to dress professionally. But that is just how I dress. I have seen women in jeans and a t-shirt, sweat pants, sundresses, and nice professional clothes at various graduation events. There really isn't a set dress code. If you like the dress and feel comfortable in it then wear it.
  6. Senior Member
    It is very much appropriate. Als is not formal so a nice (non cluby) dress is proper.
  7. Senior Member
    I wouldn't wear it.

I think the keyhole at the top and the style on the shoulders makes it more of a 'party/club' dress than a professional graduation dress. I tend to dress more conservatively, but most wives at DH's were dressed similar to me.

Eta: Maybe with a cardigan it would look more professional? I am the cardigan queen though . Maybe ask around to see how formal his grad will be. DH wore his mess dress so I dressed off of that.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I wouldn't wear it.

I think the keyhole at the top and the style on the shoulders makes it more of a 'party/club' dress than a professional graduation dress. I tend to dress more conservatively, but most wives at DH's were dressed similar to me.

Eta: Maybe with a cardigan it would look more professional? I am the cardigan queen though . Maybe ask around to see how formal his grad will be. DH wore his mess dress so I dressed off of that.

If I wore it with a fitted black jacket, some lighter black stockings and black flats?
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    I wouldn't wear it.

It's not bad, but I would wear something more professional.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmelB View Post
    If I wore it with a fitted black jacket, some lighter black stockings and black flats?
    Hm, I'd have to see. But again, just because *I* wouldn't wear it doesn't mean you won't be appropriate! I just do not like to stand out in any way at functions, I get nervous.

This is what I wore to DH's...I was 8 months preggers so ignore that please. Also ignore the wrinkles...those heels required a great deal of sitting.

Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast