Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Marine Security Guard (MSG) a/k/a Embassy Duty

1. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Marine Security Guard (MSG) a/k/a Embassy Duty

Advertisements
    Anyone else's SO's done it? We are thinking about it. DH would be a detachment commander, which means I could go with him. It also means me giving up my career for 3 years, and he plans to retire afterwards.

Just wondering if anyone has experienced it.
  2. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine did it and loved it, but was unmarried.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  3. Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Livin~Lovin~Laughin
    Life at Embassy duty rocks. As the wife of the det commander you are kinda like the mom of the young marines that are out there. You'll get to attend Embassy parties so make sure you've got some nice cocktail dresses and a couple gowns. The best time of year is the Marine Ball.

"Don't worry about being right,
    just worry about being kind."
    ~Tilly Therber
  4. Senior Member
    DH and I have discussed possibly pursuing this, but he mentioned that he would have to be a Staff Sergeant first (I'm assuming so that I could go). It sounds like a great opportunity, IMO.
  5. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Quote Originally Posted by MissNik View Post
    DH and I have discussed possibly pursuing this, but he mentioned that he would have to be a Staff Sergeant first (I'm assuming so that I could go). It sounds like a great opportunity, IMO.
    We are still tossing it around. And yes, only single Marines can go, unless they are E-6 and above. Then he can bring up to three dependents I mentioned it to my family last week, and they were upset about the idea of me being so far away and possibility taking a baby with us (because they would miss out on 3 early years). And it would possibly derail my career right before DH wants to retire. So I'm not sure what we will do. I think we will make a final decision this summer.
  6. Senior Member
    Great way to network before he gets out.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by .pistachio. View Post
    We are still tossing it around. And yes, only single Marines can go, unless they are E-6 and above. Then he can bring up to three dependents I mentioned it to my family last week, and they were upset about the idea of me being so far away and possibility taking a baby with us (because they would miss out on 3 early years). And it would possibly derail my career right before DH wants to retire. So I'm not sure what we will do. I think we will make a final decision this summer.
    Remind them that there are still visits. If wouldn't have to be 3 years w/o seeing the baby, or you.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    What are your opinions on trying to make a relationship survive long distance while he is on MSG? My boyfriend and I are planning to try and make it work. We will probably get engaged when he graduates from school in a few months and right before he leaves. The plan is to try and meet up once a year to see each other wherever we can. Which most likely means me traveling to him or us meeting in a different country.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by jaspersbb42014 View Post
    What are your opinions on trying to make a relationship survive long distance while he is on MSG? My boyfriend and I are planning to try and make it work. We will probably get engaged when he graduates from school in a few months and right before he leaves. The plan is to try and meet up once a year to see each other wherever we can. Which most likely means me traveling to him or us meeting in a different country.
    I have closed this since it is an old thread. You would get more responses starting your own thread.

to MSOS. Please take a moment to head to the Newbie forum here: Newbies and post an introductory thread.

Thank you.