Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: ATG?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

ATG?

Advertisements
    DH is going to be a part of the ATG in Hawaii and he's never done it before..I was wondering what your experience is with it? how often are they gone and how long is it usually? We are technically doing shore duty out there but I understand they are gone for periods of time. Do you like your husband doing it?
  2. Senior Member

Aside from the fact that no one on the ships likes ATG, it seems like a decent job.

They do get underway with the ships they are inspecting, but as far as I know, its not usually longer than a week or two at a time.

When we've had ATG on board, they tend to start their days early, but also finish relatively early.

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    Aside from the fact that no one on the ships likes ATG, it seems like a decent job.

They do get underway with the ships they are inspecting, but as far as I know, its not usually longer than a week or two at a time.

When we've had ATG on board, they tend to start their days early, but also finish relatively early.
    It kind of sounds similar to VBSS no? DH is VBSS on his ship now.

why does no one on the ships like ATG?
  4. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    It kind of sounds similar to VBSS no? DH is VBSS on his ship now.

why does no one on the ships like ATG?
    Not really like VBSS. VBSS is more looking for illicit cargo/personnel on non-navy ships

ATG comes on board to inspect every aspect of the ship (record keeping, training, maintenance). So basically, they come on board for a week or two, tell you everything that's wrong and then leave. But if you don't pass certain inspections, the ship can't get underway or deploy. So it means extra work preparing for the re-inspection.
    Part of the problem is that "big navy" has some requirements that really aren't practical or realistic on the fleet. Like last week, my division spent two hours replacing exit signs in all our spaces because the ones we had were 1 inch smaller than the current requirement. So it was really a waste of time, but if we hadn't done it, we would have failed that part of our inspection.