Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: RDC Wives?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

RDC Wives?

Advertisements
    So, my partner has orders for Great Lakes, where she will be an RDC. Anyone out their married to an RDC? What is it like? I've read that the hours are grueling and that RDCs have the highest divorce rates. I'm just curious to know what our life will be like when she checks in.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    DH was a RDC. We were there from 2006 to 2009. Yeah the hours are hell. He'd leave around 5 and get home around 10:30. Be prepared to do everything on your own. Sometimes he may be able to leave for early or for a little bit but don't count on it. I had to cancel appts because DH would call me at the last minute and say he couldn't watch our boys. Even when he would watch them he at in the van with them and then took off right after I was done. We lived with his friend that was also a RDC and I still shoveled everytime it snowed. And when it snows 14 inches in one snowfall it can be a lot. Even though they are "there", they really aren't. There will be a time when he gets his break and will get another job. DH was an instructor at live fire and then FQA. There is a sticky in the military progression board I believe t is that I posted a lengthy detail of RDC duty. I'm trying to remember it all now but I know there is a lot more. Lol

ETA: she. Sorry I just now saw that.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you! I'm actually very accustomed to hellish hours. We live an hour away from base and my partner typically wakes up at 330 so she can be at work by 5 and I'm all too familiar with her not getting in the house until 10. I'm fairly independent so I think I can adjust very well, at least I am hoping. I'm crossing my fingers that there is a decent community college near (we found out a week ago we're moving there, I'm trying to map things out in my head, lol). I am dreading the snow! I'm a huge klutz and every time I've seen snow I've managed to hurt myself pretty badly. :/ Thank you for replying! I've gotten the impression that everyone gets divorced and hates their life, lol.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    No worries! I am so use to being ambiguous about my partner's gender that I do it all the time.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I won't lie, we are one of the few that got there married and left there married. I know of one that got there married to one person and left married to another. It is a high stress job so I took the weight of the family and home. He looks back now and says those 3.5 years are now a blur. He barely remembers them cause he was so busy and tired. I can't remember colleges up there. We're from Ohio so I thought the snow and cold would be no big deal. It was a whole other level of cold and snow though. It was very hard for me to get to know people. But there are a ton of things to do in Great Lakes, Chicago, and Wisconsin. Whenever DH did have time off we always had something we could do.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you! I've been eyeballing different things to do and am actually pretty excited! I'm very introverted (probably one of the only reasons that we managed to make it through DADT and being stationed at a very homophobic command) and have no problem doing things on my own. That's what I have a dog for, lol. During deployment our dog was with me 24/7 practically. Great Lakes seems beautiful and for that I am happy!
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I can't say I would ever want him to do those orders again. But it was an experience. The kids ad I went to grads and even though we didn't know them it was still amazing. I can't even describe it other than this huge wave of pride for the people graduating. They had family seating with the RDCs so when DH could sit we got to sit with him. There were a few times e brought home the RDC and I had to remind him the kids and I were not his recruits. As soon as I said that though he stopped. At the end if the tour he got a shadow box made that showed both his blue and red rope, all of his divisions and his boot camp pic, the sailors creed....I think that is it. 2 months after checking into his new command he picked up chief. His new command made his life hell because he came from Great Lakes. They'd say stuff like "oh so you like to boss recruits around..."
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for everything!