Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Wing Aviator

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Rotary Wing Aviator

Advertisements
    So out of left field DH brings up last night that he's seriously considering putting a packet in to be a warrant officer and apparently with his MOS the only thing he can do is be a pilot, which he's super stoked about but me not so much. I've never told DH no in any of the MOS's he has considered and let me tell you some have been a doozy but this one I'm just really not sure about. We have a dog that I don't think could handle being on a plane, so if he were to get stationed overseas we'd have to live apart.

DH has a really awesome mos right now, minus how much they are gone I feel like they are family friendly and provide a lot of opportunities for DH as far as his career goes. However DH says he is unhappy with it lately and is really considering going warrant officer so I'd like to get whatever info I can I guess in case he does this (google isn't being a great help).

I'm just looking for some general info, what's flight school like, where are some of the main places they can get stationed, what are deployments like (I know that it probably depends on the unit, but right now he's gone roughly as much as he's home and I am finding it to be pretty bearable), and when you get to a duty station do you stay there or is it an mos that moves around a lot.

If anyone would feel comfortable giving me some general info about the schooling or the job through here or PM I'd really really appreciate it. I'm super nervous about this because I love DH's job now. Lately they've been home a lot when they are home, we both have really great friends here (some of which live on our street which is amazing), I love love love NC and that his current job is really only here so we've been able to settle. I'm not worried about selling/renting the house because they get snatched up super fast in our neighborhood, but emotionally I'm not sure I'd be ready to leave it as soon as next year. I think part of the fear I have is the total lack of knowledge I have on this perspective MOS, I tend to be much more level headed when I have at least some information on what is to come, and I really do want DH to be happy.

For anyone who read all that or who can give me any info TIA it would be SO appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    So out of left field DH brings up last night that he's seriously considering putting a packet in to be a warrant officer and apparently with his MOS the only thing he can do is be a pilot, which he's super stoked about but me not so much. I've never told DH no in any of the MOS's he has considered and let me tell you some have been a doozy but this one I'm just really not sure about. We have a dog that I don't think could handle being on a plane, so if he were to get stationed overseas we'd have to live apart.

DH has a really awesome mos right now, minus how much they are gone I feel like they are family friendly and provide a lot of opportunities for DH as far as his career goes. However DH says he is unhappy with it lately and is really considering going warrant officer so I'd like to get whatever info I can I guess in case he does this (google isn't being a great help).

I'm just looking for some general info, what's flight school like, where are some of the main places they can get stationed, what are deployments like (I know that it probably depends on the unit, but right now he's gone roughly as much as he's home and I am finding it to be pretty bearable), and when you get to a duty station do you stay there or is it an mos that moves around a lot.

If anyone would feel comfortable giving me some general info about the schooling or the job through here or PM I'd really really appreciate it. I'm super nervous about this because I love DH's job now. Lately they've been home a lot when they are home, we both have really great friends here (some of which live on our street which is amazing), I love love love NC and that his current job is really only here so we've been able to settle. I'm not worried about selling/renting the house because they get snatched up super fast in our neighborhood, but emotionally I'm not sure I'd be ready to leave it as soon as next year. I think part of the fear I have is the total lack of knowledge I have on this perspective MOS, I tend to be much more level headed when I have at least some information on what is to come, and I really do want DH to be happy.

For anyone who read all that or who can give me any info TIA it would be SO appreciated!
    Once he has submitted his packet and has been accepted you will do a PCS to Ft Rucker.

You need to plan on your dh studying studying and doing some more studying. As far as which bases are available, it will depend on which helicopter he is assigned to. The assignments are made after they are at school.

Here are some sites to read that may answer some of your questions.

FlyUSArmy.com - Fort Rucker Flight School Information
    Student Information
    The Crash Course Army Wife’s Guide to U.S. ARMY Flight School at Ft. Rucker | Music Box Symphony

If you plan to rent your house plan on researching and finding a reputable management company. Being a long distance landlord is not fun at all.

If you have more specific questions about Flight school please PM me. My dh is an Instructor Pilot at Ft Rucker and I will answer what I can.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  3. Senior Member
    I have three friends who are Army helo pilots, two are WO and one went to the West Point. One is at Ft Drum, one at HAAF and the other was at Bragg and is now in Germany. Two fly Kiowa's and I'm not sure what the other flies.

It seems to me like the all move at the normal rate of the military and just like everyone they go to bases where their aircraft are at. Seems normal to me at least.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by kaaau View Post
    Once he has submitted his packet and has been accepted you will do a PCS to Ft Rucker.

You need to plan on your dh studying studying and doing some more studying. As far as which bases are available, it will depend on which helicopter he is assigned to. The assignments are made after they are at school.

Here are some sites to read that may answer some of your questions.

FlyUSArmy.com - Fort Rucker Flight School Information
    Student Information
    The Crash Course Army Wife’s Guide to U.S. ARMY Flight School at Ft. Rucker | Music Box Symphony

If you plan to rent your house plan on researching and finding a reputable management company. Being a long distance landlord is not fun at all.

If you have more specific questions about Flight school please PM me. My dh is an Instructor Pilot at Ft Rucker and I will answer what I can.
    Thank you so much for the info and the links, I was having a hard time find anything from google that wasn't from like 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by *Stephanie* View Post
    I have three friends who are Army helo pilots, two are WO and one went to the West Point. One is at Ft Drum, one at HAAF and the other was at Bragg and is now in Germany. Two fly Kiowa's and I'm not sure what the other flies.

It seems to me like the all move at the normal rate of the military and just like everyone they go to bases where their aircraft are at. Seems normal to me at least.
    Yeah neither DH nor I know anyone who works with aircrafts or flys them or anything so I really just wasn't sure. He used to be Infantry and was at Drum forever and the only reason he got out was him switching to his current MOS which is solely here so I wasn't sure if it was going to be an mos that moved around a lot or if it was semi stationary.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My ex became a pilot earlier this year and was immediately sent to Korea. Flight school took a while. He started in Juneish of 2011 and just finished in March. There is a ton of stuff for them to learn so it takes a lot of studying. WOCS wasn't horrible for him, there was no communication at the beginning, but that ended quickly enough. BOLC was pretty easy, SERE sucked and then flight school itself was difficult for him because he isn't a great student. Everyone in his class ended up with Blackhawks (although that isn't necessarily normal) and almost all of them were stationed oversees.

If you have any specific question about flight school let me know.

I Eelizah
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    My ex became a pilot earlier this year and was immediately sent to Korea. Flight school took a while. He started in Juneish of 2011 and just finished in March. There is a ton of stuff for them to learn so it takes a lot of studying. WOCS wasn't horrible for him, there was no communication at the beginning, but that ended quickly enough. BOLC was pretty easy, SERE sucked and then flight school itself was difficult for him because he isn't a great student. Everyone in his class ended up with Blackhawks (although that isn't necessarily normal) and almost all of them were stationed oversees.

If you have any specific question about flight school let me know.
    DH is required to have sere for his current job so that's not a big issue and he's really good at school type stuff so he'd probably like that. The amount that seems to go overseas concerns me. A year in Korea we could do but 2-3 + years of living in different countries doesn't appeal to me at all. In their daily job do they deal with a lot of bs type stuff? That's what DH doesn't care for now but I feel like any job in the military is going to deal with "big army" stuff as he calls it.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by HisCrazyGirl View Post
    DH is required to have sere for his current job so that's not a big issue and he's really good at school type stuff so he'd probably like that. The amount that seems to go overseas concerns me. A year in Korea we could do but 2-3 + years of living in different countries doesn't appeal to me at all. In their daily job do they deal with a lot of bs type stuff? That's what DH doesn't care for now but I feel like any job in the military is going to deal with "big army" stuff as he calls it.
    I believe his orders were for 2 years. To be honest, I can't help you much with the life of a pilot stuff. I broke up with him literally the day he left for Korea.

I Eelizah
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by AshleyO View Post
    I believe his orders were for 2 years. To be honest, I can't help you much with the life of a pilot stuff. I broke up with him literally the day he left for Korea.
    Thank you so much for coming in here and giving me so much info despite not being together anymore .

Ultimately this is DHs decision, I just hope he thinks long and hard about it because it will take our lives in a totally different direction than we were headed and I'm really not sure it's a good direction for us.
  9. Senior Member
    Utlimately, is should be *both* of your decisions. This greatly affects you so it isn't fair that he makes the calls and you just go along. I hope you are expressing your concerns to him and making sure just how worried you are about certain aspects of this.

My DH is an aviator, but he's an O and he's Navy, so I am guessing things are different. But in our case, it is very much standard to move every 2-3 years, and overseas orders (for 2-3 years) are pretty common.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Utlimately, is should be *both* of your decisions. This greatly affects you so it isn't fair that he makes the calls and you just go along. I hope you are expressing your concerns to him and making sure just how worried you are about certain aspects of this.

My DH is an aviator, but he's an O and he's Navy, so I am guessing things are different. But in our case, it is very much standard to move every 2-3 years, and overseas orders (for 2-3 years) are pretty common.
    Thank you , he really is good about asking my thoughts and concerns but I struggle with keeping a balance of wanting him to do what makes him happy and what's best for us as a family. Sometimes I hold back on concerns because if he thinks I'll be unhappy he wont do it, but I also don't want him to regret not doing something. Which is kind of the problem, I've never before felt unsupportive of a career choice like I do right now, normally I'm like okay lets do this, so I'm having a hard time in approaching this one. We've talked about it a lot and have decided to wait a year before we bring it back to the table. Our dog really could not go over seas, he's just to sickly, so we'll just have to figure out if living apart for years at a time is something we can handle both as a couple and financially.

I really do appreciate all the information everyone has given me, it has helped me collect my concerns in an organized way to discuss them with DH.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast