Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air Transportation

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Air Transportation

Advertisements
    I hope this is the right place for this. My DH is in the air force and going to cross train. One of the jobs he is looking into is air transportation. I was just wondering if anyone is in it or has an SO in it. I am curious about what the job, schedules and deployments are like. Are they gone a lot? I just want to have an idea of what we would be getting into. TIA

camandcmh, 867-5309, and chicalelo are my sister wives
    Skatie
    is my husker twin GO BIG RED!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you. I have read through that and other things already. I was just kind of hoping to get more of a personal experience of it.
    Right now he is Security Forces so he is deployed a lot and works a lot/weird schedules. I know no jobs are the same but was wondering if it was another job where they are gone all the time with weird hours and schedules. I was hoping for something a little slower pace

Skatie
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Love_my_airmanNP View Post
    Thank you. I have read through that and other things already. I was just kind of hoping to get more of a personal experience of it.
    Right now he is Security Forces so he is deployed a lot and works a lot/weird schedules. I know no jobs are the same but was wondering if it was another job where they are gone all the time with weird hours and schedules. I was hoping for something a little slower pace
    Ahhh security forces. That was one of the jobs i was offered and I decided engineering because I heard so many bad things about SF!! I know what you mean though with wantign a slowr pace lol. DH is going for SERES that is gonna be crazy! If he doesnt get SERES he has secured cyber transport systems which I know nothing about the schedule or deployments. I just know we can go to any base.
  5. I'm so much cooler online
    I'm so much cooler online
    My husband is in Air Transportation. I only have experience with our first base which is an over seas base. He can work crazy hours due to Ramstein is a busy port. From my understanding there is a higher chance getting stationed at a busy port such as McGuire, Dover, Andrews, McChord, and Travis. I'm sure there are a couple more that I'm forgetting. There are chances of getting sent to a less busy port but it's not as common. As for deployments, I've heard rumors they happen quite often stateside, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is. DH has only been on one and that was semi volunteered for here overseas. He could have said "No." But he decided it was either him going for the first time or another father going for a 3rd of 4th time so he chose to go. In the end it was his decision but they did ask him to go. If that makes any sense. It's late and I'm rambling I know.

I believe Sushi and her husband also work Air Transportation (I could be wrong) so she might have a better idea than me.
  6. Senior Member

DH is Air Transportation (I'm Command Post) he has been deployed 3 times and has gone on a few short TDYs. He works 12s(always) and right now they are 4 on 3 off. Days off are Sun-Tue or Wed-Fri.

Let me know what more info you want, I work VERY closely with his career field and him at work even.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by USAFwife7492 View Post
    Ahhh security forces. That was one of the jobs i was offered and I decided engineering because I heard so many bad things about SF!! I know what you mean though with wantign a slowr pace lol. DH is going for SERES that is gonna be crazy! If he doesnt get SERES he has secured cyber transport systems which I know nothing about the schedule or deployments. I just know we can go to any base.
    Yes he doesn't like security forces and wants a different job. I don't know if it would have been something you would like but he says most people don't like it lol. Oh wow yeah talk about crazy. I would hate it if my DH wanted to do that lol. Right now his job is usually 6 months out 6 months home. His last deployment we had a week notice (although he was filling in for someone). Apparently their job can deploy with less then 24 hour notice. I didn't know their job could do that. So I was wanting to find out if air transportation was slower paced. I would love to have more time with him. In the 4 years we have been together if you add up all the times I have been physically with him I think we have just hit a year mark.

Skatie
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justangelyn View Post
    My husband is in Air Transportation. I only have experience with our first base which is an over seas base. He can work crazy hours due to Ramstein is a busy port. From my understanding there is a higher chance getting stationed at a busy port such as McGuire, Dover, Andrews, McChord, and Travis. I'm sure there are a couple more that I'm forgetting. There are chances of getting sent to a less busy port but it's not as common. As for deployments, I've heard rumors they happen quite often stateside, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate that is. DH has only been on one and that was semi volunteered for here overseas. He could have said "No." But he decided it was either him going for the first time or another father going for a 3rd of 4th time so he chose to go. In the end it was his decision but they did ask him to go. If that makes any sense. It's late and I'm rambling I know.

I believe Sushi and her husband also work Air Transportation (I could be wrong) so she might have a better idea than me.
    Thank you! Germany is actually number one on his dream sheet. Right now we are in England and for his job now this is a very active base and his job deploys a lot from here. Its interesting you heard states had more frequent deployments, I always thought it was the other way around with my experience from this base. Does your DH like the job? How long was the deployment? Is it normally 6 months?

Skatie
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    DH is Air Transportation (I'm Command Post) he has been deployed 3 times and has gone on a few short TDYs. He works 12s(always) and right now they are 4 on 3 off. Days off are Sun-Tue or Wed-Fri.

Let me know what more info you want, I work VERY closely with his career field and him at work even.
    Thank you so much. That has to be nice to work with him at work How long has your DH been in for? How long are the deployments usually? Right now DHs job is more of a 6 months gone 6 months home.
    They also work in the pax terminals at the counter right? Do you pick to do that and just do that or do they all move around and do different things. I hope that made sense I wasn't sure on how to word it. Thank you for the response and answering my questions, I greatly appreciate it.

Skatie
  10. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Love_my_airmanNP View Post
    Thank you so much. That has to be nice to work with him at work How long has your DH been in for? How long are the deployments usually? Right now DHs job is more of a 6 months gone 6 months home.
    They also work in the pax terminals at the counter right? Do you pick to do that and just do that or do they all move around and do different things. I hope that made sense I wasn't sure on how to word it. Thank you for the response and answering my questions, I greatly appreciate it.
    Hes been in 9 yrs. His deployments were 6 months. DH was ATOC, CCX and PAX(passenger terminal) at Kadena. They also work in making pallets for the cargo and loading the cargo (driving equipment and pushing the pallets on the acft). They also are the ones that take the poop/pee off the acft, fleet service. There are multiple jobs they do which is nice, but they do not get to pick where they work, they usually work in a section (PAX, ATOX, CCX, Freight, etc) for a year then get switch to something else.

Oh and PAX isnt just checking in passengers, there is soooooo much going on behind the scenes its crazy. People are crazy about space A flights and get soooo rude because they think they deserve to be on these planes. He would come home most nights so angry about what happened at work.

As much as I don't enjoy my job, I think his is so much worse. SFS is probably just as bad, if he is wanting to get away from shift work I would not chose this job.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast