Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retraining

1. Senior Member

Retraining

Advertisements
    Has anyone retrained in USAF my hubby is a Ssgt and has just been accepted to retrain and I have so many questions but we don't know anyone who has retrained!

He got his tech school class dates BUT we are overseas and no one can tell us when we will get orders (his deros is Feb 2014 and he goes to class in March) and if they will send him back to me to PCS or if he will go straight from tech school to the new duty station and I will have to arrange the move myself?

Any info would be great!
  2. Senior Member
    DH cross trained, his school was about a year. Whether or not they PCS you to your school site depends specifically on what he is cross-training to.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Are you sure they'd let you stay overseas after he leaves? In every scenario I've known of, they spouse had to leave then the service member left due to SOFA status issues.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    They would usually make you go back to the states if you are OCONUS because of the SOFA agreement and command issues as mentioned. If his DEROS is February you'll all probably leave at the same time, he can take a little leave and then report to his class.
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My DH is in the process of trying to cross train and we are overseas. He talked to the career advisor and they told him I would go to with him to the training base. Now I don't know if this is true or not but that's what they told him. I agree with PPs. I don't think they would let you stay overseas when his DEROS is up and he leaves.

camandcmh, 867-5309, and chicalelo are my sister wives
    Skatie
    is my husker twin GO BIG RED!!
  6. Junior Member
    My husband retrained, but he was stationed CONUS. His tech school was pretty short so it was a TDY while he was stationed at his previous base. He then returned and we moved together. If I remember correctly, his tech school was in Jan for 28 days or so and we PCSed in March.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

7. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Are you sure they'd let you stay overseas after he leaves? In every scenario I've known of, they spouse had to leave then the service member left due to SOFA status issues.
    She is british, so she could kind of stay if she wants to. No clue if the military would pay for her to stay though.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

8. Senior Member
    Oh I have no idea! His tech school is only 6 weeks long so figured that it isnt long enough for me to be allowed to go with him, thought I would be staying here until after... who knows?!

DH doesn't think he is going to get orders until he is in his new tech school (but he doesn't know how this works either)

He is going from radio comm to .... paralegal and is so excited to be getting away from comm! Hahaha
  9. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kittycat View Post
    Oh I have no idea! His tech school is only 6 weeks long so figured that it isnt long enough for me to be allowed to go with him, thought I would be staying here until after... who knows?!

DH doesn't think he is going to get orders until he is in his new tech school (but he doesn't know how this works either)

He is going from radio comm to .... paralegal and is so excited to be getting away from comm! Hahaha
    Dh is in the comm squadron

Sorry I'm thread jacking how's your teeth feeling?
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

10. Senior Member
    The UK does not make the dependents leave if the military member has already left. You do need permission to stay, which is (or was) granted by the Mission Support Group Commander. I knew at least one family who stayed behind for the children to finish out the school year, and one who PCSd to England ahead of their husband, who was on a remote.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast