Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Officer Jobs (Intel)

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Officer Jobs (Intel)

Advertisements
    Anyone's SO have experience with being an Army Officer and working in Intel? My fiancée is currently in OCS and we are debating between Job positions. First he wanted Infantry but we reconsidered because he wants to be home and have a less dangerous Job. We want to start a family. So he switched in Aviation and is working on a flight school package. We were also looking at Intel and are open to other job ideas..I guess I am looking for general advice in regards to peoples experiences with different officer jobs in the Army. We will have to make a decision soon!
    Thanks
  2. Senior Member
    He's at OCS? Army must work differently than Navy because for Naval Aviation, you can't just switch into it during OCS. You are given an aviation spot before you leave. Is he certain those jobs are still open to him?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member

My friends who are navy intel officers say the majority of their job is power point presentations.
    Enlisted does the actual intelligence gathering, they just brief people on it.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    My friends who are navy intel officers say the majority of their job is power point presentations.
    Our Navy friends say the same thing. A lot of people think that Intel guys are almost like spies. In reality, their job is to get the correct information to the people who need it. So if a squadron is planning a flight to Anytown, the intel guy briefs them on what they need to know about Anytown in order to complete the mission.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I thought army fields were awarded during ocs based on open slots and rank in the class. I'm really not sure, I just remember seeing the boxes with their specialty pins at the grad dinner.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I've heard similar things about Air Force, except that the intel officers give those briefings at a myriad of locations, so it's a 6/6 deployment rate (6 months home, 6 months deployed). They don't always deploy after 6 months home, but it's very common to.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Procella View Post
    I thought army fields were awarded during ocs based on open slots and rank in the class. I'm really not sure, I just remember seeing the boxes with their specialty pins at the grad dinner.
    I'm 99% certain they are based on that. I know you can rank your preferences, but you are not guaranteed the field you want.

"May you never go to hell, but always be on your way."
  8. Senior Member
    This has been DH's experience on the enlisted side. He's Air Force but works joint.
  9. Senior Member
    Also, since danger is a consideration, he might think carefully about requesting aviation.
  10. Super Speshil
    Super Speshil
    The point of no return. Is that a duty station?
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Our Navy friends say the same thing. A lot of people think that Intel guys are almost like spies. In reality, their job is to get the correct information to the people who need it. So if a squadron is planning a flight to Anytown, the intel guy briefs them on what they need to know about Anytown in order to complete the mission.

My stbxh was an Intel Analyst in the MC. He gathered information (intel) and did a lot of briefs.
    Pax, Aeon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast