Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Enlisted to LDO?

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Enlisted to LDO?

Advertisements
    has anyones spouse gone from enlisted to LDO? DH is in the process of trying to do it and it's looking pretty good...

what exactly is an ldo? all I really know is that its more money

kind of in the dark here..would be still be considered enlisted?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Limited Duty Officer. He'd start as an O-1E and work his way up the ranks that way (max of O-6 I believe). LDOs generally won't go the flag officer route and instead will stay in their specialities. Just what I've heard-- Jayo would be one to ask about this as her husband is an LDO and an XO.
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries

Thank you Kat.

We are supposed to have Shore Duty next year but if he made LDO he would have to continue with Sea duty right? This shit confuses me
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by jellybeanerr View Post
    Thank you Kat.

We are supposed to have Shore Duty next year but if he made LDO he would have to continue with Sea duty right? This shit confuses me
    I have no idea about the sea-to-shore rotations for LDO. Does he already have his degree?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

5. You are here.
    You are here.
    Yep, dh is LDO. He's now a Lt junior grade so no after commissioning he would be a commissioned officer but his time in service would be counted in his time in (enlisted plus commissioned), and for the first three paygrades (ensign, LT jg and LT) he would be earning more than what other officers who were not prior enlisted would be earning.

Jelly bean, it can differ. Most of DH's billets are now mostly shore. He was on shore when he was selected and commissioned. This three year tour was shore. His next may be deployable but his sponsor (the guy he's relieving) has yet to make any contact so we really don't know if he will be deployable or yet again on shore duty.

Pay is great but he's got the world on his shoulder's at times. his job definitely is not a cake walk as was advertised by his predecessor. I would honestly go that route, Jellybean if he's truly wanting to advance his career. We have several that are getting their packages in for LDO before the cut off.

I think one of the best things about it is that most new people who never met dh assumes he's just a new cat who doesn't have a clue how the Navy or the military works, and are shocked when they find out he does know his career field and that he's got so much time in. And he hasn't forgotten where he came from, he's comfortable in the wardroom and if he's around the enlisted. I think that is key imo. You can't forget where you come from, we've seen several who have and how horrible they treat the junior troops.
  6. You are here.
    You are here.
    double post...five hours sleep and no end in sight.
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Late to the party here, but my husband applied this year as well. We currently have our stomach in knots waiting for results!