Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone's spouse in Marine Security Force?

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Anyone's spouse in Marine Security Force?

Advertisements
    I have no idea if this is the right place for this... I'm sorry if it's not! My husband just left for boot camp a few days ago, and the day before, he met his CO, who told him he would be doing Security Force. I still don't really understand what this means or entails, and I have yet to meet someone who does! Any information would help. I am under the impression that he will be safer than regular infantry and will be less likely to deploy to a war zone, but I could be totally wrong.
  2. ...
    My Dh was security forces for 3 years. I can answer any questions you have.
  3. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Awesome! Basically, what do they do? Where are they generally stationed? Is there less of a chance they'll be deployed? To a war zone at least? And how was he in for only three years? Sorry for all the questions.
  4. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    My DB was in security forces for 2 years in DC. He went to security forces school in Norfolk area then was stationed in DC for his whole time. He stood post around various military installations around DC and provided security to the VP and Commandant of the USMC. He was not deployed until he was out of security forces. They don't allow marines to stay in security forces for long periods of time because of how demanding the job is, at least that's my understanding.

5. You are here.
    You are here.
    They had Marine Security force detachment (I guess that's what it is called) on board Sub base Kings bay. I think they did security for the secure area. They had their own barracks among the Navy guys.
  6. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiebrim View Post
    Awesome! Basically, what do they do? Where are they generally stationed? Is there less of a chance they'll be deployed? To a war zone at least? And how was he in for only three years? Sorry for all the questions.
    He can be sent to Kings Bay GA or Naval Base Kitsap Bangor WA or FAST team. The Marines are security for secure areas on the base. If he goes to GA or WA he should be non deployable. You spend a few years at MCSF then go to a normal infantry battalion. Thats how my Dh did 3 years at Bangor, then 3 at Camp Lejeune.
  7. Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Justice Beaver: The Crime Fighting Beaver
    Quote Originally Posted by andreacn View Post
    He can be sent to Kings Bay GA or Naval Base Kitsap Bangor WA or FAST team. The Marines are security for secure areas on the base. If he goes to GA or WA he should be non deployable. You spend a few years at MCSF then go to a normal infantry battalion. Thats how my Dh did 3 years at Bangor, then 3 at Camp Lejeune.
    They can go to DC too.

8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Is it just luck of the draw who gets the non deployable jobs?
  9. You are here.
    You are here.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiebrim View Post
    Is it just luck of the draw who gets the non deployable jobs?
    i think it may be more of a rotation type thing. One duty station he may be non deployable and the next set of orders he might be deployable. Last command we had two that had served in a USMC security det and then transferred over to Naval MarSec and I think they were saying they rotated.
  10. Senior Member
    If he ends up on a Fast Team, My sons father was a FAST Marine. FAST Marines are very deployable and in the middle of the action. For example recently FAST was deployed in response to the 2012 attack on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi. My sons father went in at the beginning of Iraq and they supplemented special forces. They worked on securing oil platforms and high value assets. It is a very stressful and rewarding unit. They have very very strict rules and regulations. They are on a duty rotation and during that period they may not leave a certain distance from their recall post. This is because the team(s) on duty are on recall to leave immediately if there is a conflict around the world they are needed for. On 9/11 they all were recalled and had a certain amount of time to be back with full gear ready to deploy. They sat at work for a few days all prepared but didn't get orders. There is a deployment rotation an they have standard deployments overseas as well as areas of need like changing nuclear reactors. My sons father was gone several months from Virginia to Washington for such need. Here's two sites below.

Marine Fleet Anti-terrorism Security Team | Military.com
    Marine Corps Security Force Regiment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast