Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Commissioning???

1. Regular Member

Commissioning???

Advertisements
    So a little background first, DB will be graduating The Citadel in the spring, he also was deployed for about a year last year with the Army National Guard.

So recently he has been talking about when he graduates he wants to commission with either the Army or the Air Force. Has anyone been through this? What are all of you guys opinions on this? We already had a taste of the Army but what is life like in the Air Force for all of you guys that your SO is Air Force?

Please and thank you for your help!
  2. Senior Member
    Is he in AFROTC at The Citadel or is he looking into OTS?
  3. Regular Member
    He actually in the AROTC. So I guess for Air Force he would do OTS?
    Sorry I have no clue about this lol
  4. Senior Member
    If he is interested in the AF, then he should speak with the AFROTC Dec Commander at The Citadel and see if they will offer him a commission through AFROTC. If they won't, then he will have to apply to OTS, and it will not be an easy or quick process.
  5. Regular Member
    What are advantages to going through the AROTC rather then OTS? He only needs like 6 classes to graduate so he might not want to switch ROTC programs
  6. Senior Member

(In the navy) there's no difference if you go through OCS or ROTC.
    Everyone has their own opinion of which commissioning source is best, but ultimately it really doesn't matter.

7. Junior Member
    AF OTS has been a lot harder to get into in recent years - especially if he is wanting a non-rated job. In regards to AFROTC switching - is it possible with only 6 classes left? I'm not sure - but he will definitely have to complete Field Training (unless they allow some type of transfer from an army equivalent which I doubt). My husband has not heard of anyone switching that late into their degree (he commissioned through AFRTOC after being enlisted for 10 years).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

8. Senior Member

Has he already gone to LDAC? With 6 classes left I would think that he's contracted with the Army already.
  9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    My man is the Army OCS right now. Its 12 weeks long, and from what I hear they go through the same training as ROTC. Our friend went the ROTC route, and from what I hear its longer. More people I think do ROTC but OCS is a good option if you are prior service. However, my fiancée was in the Navy for four years and they made him do the Army's version of BCT all over--which has tacked on a couple months to the already long training. :/ Honestly, I'd talk to a recruiter, they will have the best option for your husband based on his goals and previous experience.
  10. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mangofishy View Post
    Has he already gone to LDAC? With 6 classes left I would think that he's contracted with the Army already.
    I don't believe he did because they do that between the summer of their junior and senior year right? he was deployed then so I don't think he did that. And he has until November to decide if he wants to.

Thank you everyone for all of your help!!!