Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any experience with recruiting?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Any experience with recruiting?

Advertisements
    My boyfriend has been DA selected for recruiting but his contract is up in about one year. Right now we are deciding if he should extend his time in the Army for an additional 36 months and go forth with recruiting vs leave the army. We had been planning for the past year for him to just finish his time in Army next year and not reenlist but now that he has been selected for recruiting he thinks that this is a great opportunity and would rather reenlist. I have more reservations about it for multiple reasons. One of the biggest reasons I am concerned is because it’s unclear where he may be stationed as a recruiter. We both want him to go to CT and he says that the chances of getting one of his top choices would incredibly high as it is not a desired area for recruiting. I know that it’s never guaranteed where the Army will send you but like I said we have been planning on him finishing his time and settling down near our families. I have an absolutely wonderful job in CT as a PA (great pay, stable, great benefits) and all of our family is here. I've also read some things online that said that recruiting was incredibly stressful and a really crappy assignment. I’m just trying to get some more information which would make me feel less uneasy about him extending his time (which he really wants to do). I was wondering if anyone has had a loved one who has done recruiting and could let me know what their experience was like. Also, if anyone has any thoughts about how likely DA selected recruiters are to get their preference in locations, that would be great. Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    I cannot speak for everyone, as my hubby has only been a recruiter for a few short months now. But I can tell you a little about our experience. He was DA selected also. We did not get anywhere near our desired location. We wanted FL or anywhere East coast really....we ended up in Dallas, TX. We did get a say in station choice, meaning they gave us a few open stations and we picked from there. Other than that, it was up to the Army.
    As far as it being a crappy assignment, everyone has different experiences. My hubby has good and bad days. Some days he gets off at 5pm. Other days, like today, he didn't get off until 8pm. I guess it all really boils down to who you work with and the chain of command. I can't give a solid statement about the experience yet, because we are just now starting on our recruiting journey, but to me it doesn't seem THAT horrible. Then again, I am not the one who has to do it everyday!
    Hope this helps some! Good luck!
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My recruiter is pretty open with me about his job so ill tell you what he told me.

It can be a rough job. They tend to work all kinds of crazy hours and its often stressful. Some days they will be done with work when the station closes (about 5pm) and other days they work much later. My recruiter usually doesn't finish up until 9pm or so after a MEPS trip because we usually don't leave MEPS until 6, it's an hour drive home, then he has to talk with recruits about their ASVAB scores, etc. plus take people home. It can also be hard and frustrating when you have recruits who aren't willing to help themselves. For example, my recruiter currently has 4 future soldiers (myself included) who need to lose weight to join. Three of them (not me) aren't willing to help themselves. They go into the station and get weighed/taped and are supposed to go work on losing weight. They come back in 3 months the same size, sometimes bigger, than they were because they didn't do anything. Then the future soldiers are pissed because they have no change. Recruiters also see a lot of people who want to join with marks that will DQ them, yet they still try to join. Certain things don't allow a waiver and the person wanting to join doesn't get that. Also, pulling records from courthouses can be a bitch. It can take months. Same with medical clearances am various other things that need clearances/waivers. People don't do research before goin in to talk to a recruiter so that can also be frustrating. However, my recruiting station often takes days "off". We don't live far from the beach so the command will schedule a trip for beach volleyball as PT time every few weeks. They do get to leave the station often which it nice. I believe they get like a $450 bonus (I think it's like COLA).

Recruiting is what you make it, kind of. You can go to any state which can be good or bad. You also have a lot of head banging moments but its also a rewarding job when you care about your recruits. My recruiter told me yesterday that when my journey is over and I can finally join he will be just as excited as I am because he's been there each step of my process. He's seen me work hard and fulfill my dreams and goals so its rewarding to him as well to be able to help me accomplish my dream and join. Overall, it can be both good and bad the same as every other job that exists in the world.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    My husband spent four years on recruiting duty (though the last year he was at MEPS as the recruiting liason, so not actively recruiting) - but that was with the USMC and I do know just from the conversations had with recruiters and their families from the other branches out here the experiences can vary quite a bit from one branch to the other.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    DH is getting ready to finish up his 3 years as an army recruiter...What is a desired location and what is not doesn't mean a damn thing. Dh's company is understaffed, and not really desired and they still aren't sending new people here. I would tell him to plan on going somewhere he wouldn't like and decide if he still thinks that its something he would want to do.

They are currently reworking the work hour policy, and supposedly there is talk about dropping down the extra money they get because the new guy that just took over thinks (and imo is correct) it's ridiculous that they were getting 450 a month plus had the work hour policy that with few exceptions it should be a 9-5 kind of day. Even with that policy in place 9-5 never really happened much. Also depending on where he would end up he could end up doing a lot of public events that doesn't always get comp time.

that being said DH considered converting to recruiting, had a school date and everything, but as the time got closer he realized the nonsense wasn't worth the money to him, and he's in a station that is usually off no later than 6, and doesn't do many events at all. Also, meps stations are not always very close so days he has to do meps runs can be some loooooong days for him.

I can't tell you a whole lot about DH's preference situation as the way they used to do it, and they way they supposedly do it now are different processes. Although the newest guy to recruiting (about a year ago) said that no one in his class got in any of the top slots...Also, they don't give you stations (unless it's changed a lot since then) to choose from. They give you battallions...and those can include multiple states in one battalion and you don't get to choose wherein that battalion you want to go unless they are reallllly super nice.

https://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/recruiter/brigade.aspx
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all so much for your responses, the information has been very helpful!
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    This is a couple months late- but my husband has been recruiting for 7 years now. Have you made a decision? I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. We've been at 3 stations, 2 in California and one in Georgia.