Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Green to Gold

1. Senior Member

Green to Gold

Advertisements
    DH is, now, talking about maybe doing the Green to Gold program. I'm looking for any information people can give that they know about from either going through it themselves, or having been in a relationship with their S/O while he/she went through it. I'm just wondering what to expect during the whole process; what the schooling is like (college, not the OCS), pay and benefits while doing the program, and anything else you can think of. Thank you in advance.
  2. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    DH is in the MECEP program, which I believe is the Marine Corps version of Green to Gold. He's paid just same as AD, b/c they consider his college like his duty station. College has been super easy for DH academically. Socially, its been an adjustment because being in class with 19/20 yr olds when you're almost 30 is kinda of weird. Other than that, it's been pretty good.

I know the MECEP program is very competitive (even moreso now w/ the downsizing) so don't get discouraged if for some reason he doesn't get selected. You can reapply.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  3. Senior Member
    From the bit of research I did yesterday is that in the Army's Green to Gold, it says they get paid their current pay and receive current benefits for up to "24 consecutive months", but it takes 4 years of school to get the degree. Yeah, the MECEP is the Corps's version of Green to Gold; with 2 different ways of getting there.
  4. Senior Member
    My DH is in the MECEP program as well. Obviously some of the finer points are probably different for the two branches, but sweetvanity put it all very succinctly. I'm surprised that the Army says only 24 months. Here, it's 4 years to get your degree and I think they even give you a little leeway if you need an extra semester or something. Also, these years count towards DH's active duty years for retirement. I know that's not the same with the Navy so that is something to check on.