Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Bragg/airborne

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Fort Bragg/airborne

Advertisements
    As some of you may know I'm in the Process if enlisting in the Army. I was talking to my recruiter and he said getting Airborne in my contract would nearly guarantee that I end up stationed in Italy, Alaska or at Fort Bragg for the first term. My brother was at Bragg and hated it and my recruiter himself said its one of the worst bases.

So, any info, pros/cons about Bragg you have would be appeaciated. TIA!
  2. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    The base itself isn't too bad, its large enough that it has two PX's and Commissaries that have been recently renovated. I don't live in base housing but I hear it can be iffy. They are trying to improve conditions on base to some extent but like most large bases its never super awesome. They are opening some good restaurants like a Chilis and Coldstone on post now so thats a plus I guess. However, the area surrounding REALLY sucks. IMO its pretty crappy right outside post-theirs a reason its called Fayettenam lol. Its not the best base that's for sure. Not much to do in the surrounding area. I don't care for the area but I make up for it by traveling to some great places in just a few hours, like Wilmington, Charlotte, DC and Atlanta. Honestly, I don't know many people who seriously like Bragg. I'm hoping my DH can get orders out of here ASAP, but in all truthfulness in the end its what you make of it. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with enlisting!
  3. Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.
    Sometimes the best gifts come in the smallest packages.

I don't have much info about Bragg, but I do know that with DH's cycle, the people who ended up in AK were all ones who originally had Airborne/ranger on their contract and dropped it before they left for those schools. Im not sure if that was for a reason or not, but just a little info.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks for the info!

Nc is home to me so of course id love to be close to those I love, that's a plus. But I recall Bragg to be boring and Fayetteville to be semi run down and pretty ghetto. Things may have improved in te last 4 years though.
  5. Senior Member
    All I know if you go Airborne is...Make. Sure. You. Get. It. In. Your. Contract.

DB's vet dad bitched him out for not getting it in writing Buuuut it meant DB would have never shipped, also. Good luck!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    All I know if you go Airborne is...Make. Sure. You. Get. It. In. Your. Contract.

DB's vet dad bitched him out for not getting it in writing Buuuut it meant DB would have never shipped, also. Good luck!
    Haha yeah. That's the only way to guarantee you get it. You can also volunteer after BCT, but the chances are much more slim.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Haha yeah. That's the only way to guarantee you get it. You can also volunteer after BCT, but the chances are much more slim.
    And they're getting slimmer is the issue. With DB's job, it was like a flying unicorn job placement
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    And they're getting slimmer is the issue. With DB's job, it was like a flying unicorn job placement
    Then I probably won't have the best luck. Your DB is in the "35" mos bracket right? Not sure exactly what it's called. But it's still worth looking into.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Then I probably won't have the best luck. Your DB is in the "35" mos bracket right? Not sure exactly what it's called. But it's still worth looking into.
    I think you just have to be patient waiting for contracts, honestly. And he wasn't. At all. He's taking the risk of being fit and smart to get him there
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Redczarista View Post
    The base itself isn't too bad, its large enough that it has two PX's and Commissaries that have been recently renovated. I don't live in base housing but I hear it can be iffy. They are trying to improve conditions on base to some extent but like most large bases its never super awesome. They are opening some good restaurants like a Chilis and Coldstone on post now so thats a plus I guess. However, the area surrounding REALLY sucks. IMO its pretty crappy right outside post-theirs a reason its called Fayettenam lol. Its not the best base that's for sure. Not much to do in the surrounding area. I don't care for the area but I make up for it by traveling to some great places in just a few hours, like Wilmington, Charlotte, DC and Atlanta. Honestly, I don't know many people who seriously like Bragg. I'm hoping my DH can get orders out of here ASAP, but in all truthfulness in the end its what you make of it. Hope that helps a bit. Good luck with enlisting!

Not looking forward to moving to Bragg for what little time DF will have left in his training and praying his orders after graduation aren't to stay there. Haven't spent too much time on the base, but from the time I did spend there, I noticed buildings/homes were either brand new or just old. Things didn't seem to be well kept (my only point of reference is Ft Hood.)

Whenever I visit DF, we always go to a beach city or Raleigh... DF and his friends do Charlotte and we went to the Yadkin Valley Wine region (2.5hs away) and had a fabulous 4-day weekend. I didn't feel safe being anywhere in Fayetteville by myself - even during the day I was a little weary walking around without DF (and we weren't in a 'bad' area). My only really good experience with Fayetteville has been the airport, which is small - but always is a breeze. Like anywhere you go, there is the good with the bad... DF and I don't mind driving an hour or two to 'do' things... but for someone with a family, it might be a pain in the arse. I think there are a lot of options... but they won't be on your doorstep.

Best of luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast