Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picking Orders!

1. Senior Member

Help Picking Orders!

Advertisements
    Was it quick and painless or did it take awhile before you were approved for something? DH just got his first list and picked his top 4 from it. Hoping that we were approved for one of them. Buuuuuuuut, it IS the Navy, so I definitely won't hold my breath.

Just looking for everybody's experiences!
  2. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    We just picked our orders (air force way of doing it with a BOP)
    :FYI
    I hope this goes quick for both of us
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    The last one was a PITA. Granted DH was deployed at the time and he wanted my opinion. My sister was also picking orders so I had two people asking for my opinion on locations and where I would go. At the end of the day I let my husband make his choice. When he finally picked I said ok and just waited to hear back of where we would be moving to. Orders finally came in right before he got home and he got what he wanted. Granted the orders changed a few months later to something else and we didn't think he would even get picked for the new position at all but we ended up moving anyway.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    What did you pick for your four?? I'm dying for our time to pick our orders, our one year mark is in sept so we are getting close!
  5. Senior Member
    It took quite a while for my husband to get orders. I think he went through 3 rounds of choices before getting the ones he got. Well, kinda 3...the orders he got were actually from the 2nd round of options, but he had to interview for them which was a very long process so his detailer advised him to still choose options on the third round in the event he wasn't selected for the interviewed ones so he didnt run into a situation of becoming needs of the navy. Then he was selected for some he chose in round 3 that we really didn't prefer over the ones he was waiting to hear about...there was some confusion about whether the round 2 option was still open for him since he was selected for the ones we didn't want...but it all worked out, he got the ones from round 2...and we're both happy with where we are!

I think overall, it took around 4-6 months before he got official orders.
  6. I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.
    I'm not drunk, you're just blurry.

My DH and I haven't been together through orders but he told me they gave him 3 options and he told them where he wanted to go from those 3 and then when he received his paperwork he was put here in Texas not where he has picked

So it can be a toss up from what I've seen with him and some of our friends!

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    What did you pick for your four?? I'm dying for our time to pick our orders, our one year mark is in sept so we are getting close!
    HI, HI, HI, WA. In that order.

Hmmm. This sounds like it could be a fun process. LOL. My husband deploys next month too, so that will probably make it a little more difficult if he doesn't get approved right away.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

WHOA!! Welcome back!!!!
  9. I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    I'm sorry for the things I said when I was hungry.
    Blog Entries
    Mayport

10. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    With my ex husband and his very small rate, picking orders was so easy I don't even remember doing it. He's been at the same base since 1997 LOL.

With Brandon, I've only been through picking orders with him once. He was due for shore duty (after 7 years of sea duty--he was only required to do 5 before rotating to shore), and there were shore duties in Great Lakes, Arlington, somewhere in Mississippi, and Jacksonville. His detailer told him that due to $$$ (family of 5) they wouldn't move us, but that he could go unaccompanied to one of those locations if he wanted shore duty. Um, no. So, he chose a sea duty in San Diego (since there was no shore duty in San Diego) to keep the family together. It was going to be a pretty good sea duty actually--a Small Boat Team. He was waiting for the official orders, and around the time he was expecting those, he called the detailer to check on the status. The detailer checks and says, "Oh... your billet was changed from an E-6 billet to an E-8 billet so it was pulled." Nobody told him. He happened to be calling during the "window" for picking orders, so the detailer told him what was available and to call him back within 5 minutes with his choice. There was actually a shore duty on the list, so he took the shore duty. It's kind of been a crappy shore duty, in my opinion, but at least he's not deployed. So... yeah.. not the best experience... hoping for a better experience when he picks sea orders again in about 10 months LOL.

I'm excited to hear where you guys end up going!
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast