Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dazed and Confused

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help Dazed and Confused

Advertisements
    Hello everyone

I am new here, and I know I am supposed to post in the New Members area first but I have a lot of questions I am 27 and my husband is 34 (turning 35 in November). My husband has always wanted to join the military but landed a job 6 years ago that isn't paying the bills anymore, to be honest. So he decided that he wanted to join (a little late...) so we have some stability and he can be satisfied with his work. His current work is incredibly thankless and he wants to help people.

He tossed around between which branch he wanted to go into but once we realized that he is getting a little too, ahem, old ... it narrowed things down abit. He knew he wasn't too old for the Air Guard, so he spoke to a recruiter. She is lovely and so helpful, he went to MEPS and it was determined he is in perfect health. He is currently deciding on jobs as far as what is open at the base here and looking at Air Traffic Control.

Here is where the confusion sets in. My husband, God bless him, is so excited I'm afraid he might not be thinking this through completely but I am totally ignorant as to how it all works. I was under the impression by what he had told me that the housing allowances (sorry I do not know all of the acronyms) would continue even when he is out tech school. I try very hard not to influence his decision so I didn't ask I just did my own research and it seems that is not the case.

I do not know the exact age cut-offs for the other branches because different sites say different things. I -think- Navy and Army he can still get into, but I am unsure about that as well. I see that the cut-offs there from what I can gather are 34, but does that mean he can still enlist at thirty four, or before his 34th birthday?

Also he read online, emphasis on -he read online- that in ATC he can choose to get deployed often enough for it to be a career for him... I sweetly encouraged him to speak with his recruiter about that later today. He would have shipped out to basic yesterday if he could... I don't want him to jump in too quickly though, being the concerned and sometimes overly worrying wife that I am.

If any of you wonderful ladies could help shed some light on this for me I would really appreciate your time replying, I am admittedly long winded and a bit of a worry wart

Thank you in advance
  2. Senior Member
    I can't help you on a lot of it but A) and B) if he goes air guard the basic allowance for housing (BAH) that you'll get while he's in BMT/Tech school along with the full time active duty pay will stop when he completes tech school unless for some reason he can immediately get a full time AGR position with his unit when he gets home. He'll just be getting the once a month drill pay which won't be much. If he's looking into the military as a new career and not just a part time thing trying to get active duty is the way to go, definitely not guard.
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for the welcome Scooby When you say full time AGR position, do you mean getting the position that is open at the base here?

He informed me just now through text that he spoke with a Navy recruiter, he didn't know if he should talk to them first or his Guard recruiter. I told him to just call his Guard recruiter and voice his concerns and ask his questions. I have just started really researching it and it seems the full time positions are for E-5 or higher (which I have no clue what that means but I know he wont be an E-5 when he gets out of school for sure). Sometimes us ladies have to dig for the details