Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: IDC?

1. Mombie.
    Mombie.

IDC?

Advertisements
    Have any of you had any experience with this? (Independent Duty Corpsman)

DH is taking the steps and was just told that he is being used as a "guinea pig" next week for a new selection board they are doing. He has to sit down with 5 IDC Chiefs and he's a little nervous about it.

2. Senior Member
    Is he nervous about the board?

IDC is a great route for career progression. There are sub IDC, Surface Warfare, Dive IDCs, what is the route he would plan to go and why?
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  3. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    I think he's just nervous about the process of getting into school. He loves the medical field and really wants to do this, I think he's worried that he might mess up and not get in. He has been deployed, or stationed overseas, for most of his 12 years in, he's looking to stay on land. He was told the people who are at the top of the class usually get to choose where they go, but are wanted on ships. He doesn't want that, but he's almost always at the top of whatever he does.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sqrllvr123 View Post
    I think he's just nervous about the process of getting into school. He loves the medical field and really wants to do this, I think he's worried that he might mess up and not get in. He has been deployed, or stationed overseas, for most of his 12 years in, he's looking to stay on land. He was told the people who are at the top of the class usually get to choose where they go, but are wanted on ships. He doesn't want that, but he's almost always at the top of whatever he does.
    I can say without a doubt that the people at the top of the class likely don't choose where they want to go.... It is a crap shoot. We came from Virginia, moved out to San Diego for the yearlong school and basically when everyone graduated it was 'Ok, what SHIP on the east coast do you want to take?'

And we had moved from Virginia wanting to get away

Not sure how undermanned they are now, but if he is good at his job and has good reasonings, I don't think it would be hard to get accepted. The school is intense though but you can get capped upon graduation if you have a certain GPA, at least that is the way it was a few years ago. For example, if you were an E5, and did well, you could get automatically promoted to E6 upon graduation.

Also, the ships are going to be the best route for promotion. They are wanting to see someone who is going to be able to take the lead and be operational. DH hates ships too, but it's the nature of the beast. That or you could try to be an IDC with SpecWar or a Dive or Recon IDC but they are still gone a lot... We tried to avoid ships too, but it is unavoidable if he ever wants to pick up another rank

If he is wanting to stay on land, IDC probably isn't for him. Cause even on shore duty, DH got pulled for an IA to Afghanistan
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what others say you cannot do!
  5. Mombie.
    Mombie.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPANavyWife View Post
    I can say without a doubt that the people at the top of the class likely don't choose where they want to go.... It is a crap shoot. We came from Virginia, moved out to San Diego for the yearlong school and basically when everyone graduated it was 'Ok, what SHIP on the east coast do you want to take?'

And we had moved from Virginia wanting to get away

Not sure how undermanned they are now, but if he is good at his job and has good reasonings, I don't think it would be hard to get accepted. The school is intense though but you can get capped upon graduation if you have a certain GPA, at least that is the way it was a few years ago. For example, if you were an E5, and did well, you could get automatically promoted to E6 upon graduation.

Also, the ships are going to be the best route for promotion. They are wanting to see someone who is going to be able to take the lead and be operational. DH hates ships too, but it's the nature of the beast. That or you could try to be an IDC with SpecWar or a Dive or Recon IDC but they are still gone a lot... We tried to avoid ships too, but it is unavoidable if he ever wants to pick up another rank
    I figured it would be something like this. He's E6 and looking to make Chief, so we knew another deployment was probably in our future. He's made quite an impact here in San Diego and has been able to have a decent amount of control over his duty stations, since getting home from his last deployment in 2010. He was supposed to be working at the clinic, for a letter of recommendation, this week but he did so well they signed off early. He's a SAR Rescue Swimmer Instructor right now, so I'm not sure where he's looking to go after this.