Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reserves/guard Air Force

1. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries

Reserves/guard Air Force

Advertisements
    Dh has a new bug up his ass about going reserves or whatever.
    Please give me your selling points on why you would or would not do it!
    We both have no real college or job training to fall back on. He almost has his ccaf but I've heard that means nothing in real life.
    Stupid recruiter did his job and sold it to dh. He thinks we could afford for him to go to college get a part time job and some now I'm suppose to get a full time job too. (Which would most likely be some shitty day care job since I know nothing else besides retail.. So no college for me)
    I personally just don't see how we could do it and still maintain a decent life.
    But maybe someone on here could tell me I'm wrong?
    I just want the good the bad and they ugly
    (Mind you he's an e5 in the Air Force with almost 7 years in, and he's pretty good at what he does)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

2. Senior Member

I am curious to hear the responses. I/We couldn't do it, I would prefer atleast 1 of us to stay in until 20yrs. We are so used to a way of life that as much as I want to get out right now I won't because I don't want to lose my paycheck.
  3. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
    I am curious to hear the responses. I/We couldn't do it, I would prefer atleast 1 of us to stay in until 20yrs. We are so used to a way of life that as much as I want to get out right now I won't because I don't want to lose my paycheck.
    That's how I feel (except I'm not in the military) I'm use to this life and the security of it. Not having to worry about bills or if we can afford to take the kids to the dr or about where we will live. Maybe I'm just a worry wart and there's nothing to worry about but I don't want to lose our $2700 a pay period pay check! (Of course it changes where we move since $1300 of that comes out for rent and bill ever check but sure you get what I mean!)
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

4. Banned
    Banned
    DH was in for 7 years and then got out. he worked his ass off for three years and on 9/14/01 was recalled to AD - 2 weeks later he reenlisted full time.
    our lives are way easier -
    ( they did not have Tricare reserve select) and insurance was costing us 400 a month.
    TRS is 200 a month for reservists BTW.

what I tell everyone is to do a budget- and take the income from being AD including BAH and BAS and divide that by 4. this is what he would need to make per week to equal his military pay. For A lot of people this is the scaryiest part.
  5. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    DH was in for 7 years and then got out. he worked his ass off for three years and on 9/14/01 was recalled to AD - 2 weeks later he reenlisted full time.
    our lives are way easier -
    ( they did not have Tricare reserve select) and insurance was costing us 400 a month.
    TRS is 200 a month for reservists BTW.

what I tell everyone is to do a budget- and take the income from being AD including BAH and BAS and divide that by 4. this is what he would need to make per week to equal his military pay. For A lot of people this is the scaryiest part.
    Thank you!
    If one of us had something good to fall back on (like if I could of gotten my nursing) I would totally tell him to do it.. But we don't and that's scary! Plus getting back active duty is hard. Both his grandpas where chiefs in the af and his dad was master, I'm just hoping someone can talk him down.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

6. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

DH was reserves for like two years, for the sole purpose of getting trained in a new career and then being able to go back into AD (his first job AD wasn't accepting anyone prior service). We/he didn't get the full experience because he was "Active reserves" for basically the entire time. He had ten months of tech school, so that was like being AD, and then he came back to his home base and had to do five level upgrade training (because as an E-5 he needed to be a five level), so he had nine months of "Active reserve" to upgrade. Then he got title ten orders to back fill deployed members while he waited to get approved for AD. .....As for what he didn't like about, working a weekend sucks. It sucked for him because he worked with the AD guys full time, and then still had to do the one weekend a month with the reservists. Understandable, but it was a bit like...he was already training full time, so he didn't really need the weekend training AND they didn't pay him for the weekends, they just made him come. So that sucked and I always questioned the pay thing but eventually I had to let it go because he didn't want to pursue it.

Anyway, when I try to apply that experience to a regular full time school or a civilian job and then working a weekend, still sucks. He definitely wants to do his twenty and get out. He was in the reserves with a goal to go AD, but he said he'd hate being reserves with a civilian job on the side. As the spouse, I totally agree. It sucked having him gone for a weekend, especially when they were "doing nothing" which was frequent.

I don't know what your DH's career field is but I would really really emphasize that if he gets out of AD in any form (totally out, reserves, etc...) he should not even think it's a possibility to get back in. DH got out thinking it'd be easy to go back in, and it took three years, joining the reserves, changing to a career that is high stress and deploys all the time, ten months of tech school with a 50% fail rate (aka stress city!), then an entire year of working with a recruiter on a weekly basis updating papers, trying to get his packet submitted and approved before he finally got to swear in as AD again. Of course it is slightly possible to get back in, but I just really wouldn't get out with the mentality that getting back in is possible.
  8. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I don't thi k he would try to get back in if he got out.
    If we didn't have kids either he could totally do this, idk if he thinks life on the outside is a cake walk or what. He grew up military brat and never had to deal with inserence issues or anything.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dh got out last year, and it was a good move for us. The unit that he signed into does not do involuntary deployments (or, they are very rare) meaning that if he does not want to deploy, he most likely wont.

He was in his guard unit less than a year when they promoted him, and there was no way he would have already promoted in ad. The insurance (trs) is cheaper than we could have gotten through his current job, so it works out well for us. But he got a good paying job, did not need to go back to college because he already had the degree he needs.
  10. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I keep telling him to get the certs he wants and so on but he complains he doesn't want online school. Idk he might be Avle to get a good job but he doesn't want to do anything with computers any more.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast