Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navy STA-21 Program

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Navy STA-21 Program

Advertisements
    Does anybody have any experience with applying for this?

DB's trying to apply this cycle and I was just wondering about it. Is it a very competitive program? What kinds of things do they look for in applicants? Do they consider how much time the service member has been enlisted for? How likely are they to get their school of choice?

Thanks!
  2. Senior Member

It is a very competitive program. He really needs to have "recommended for STA-21" in all his recent evals (it's not a requirement, but a huge plus). You only need a year in the Navy to apply to STA-21.
    For their officer selection, the Navy is big on the "whole person" concept - experience, volunteering, recommendations/interviews.
    His interviews I think can be with O3s and above, but he really should try to get O5 interviews.

Good luck

3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by HazeGray View Post
    It is a very competitive program. He really needs to have "recommended for STA-21" in all his recent evals (it's not a requirement, but a huge plus). You only need a year in the Navy to apply to STA-21.
    For their officer selection, the Navy is big on the "whole person" concept - experience, volunteering, recommendations/interviews.
    His interviews I think can be with O3s and above, but he really should try to get O5 interviews.

Good luck
    Thanks!

I have no idea what his evals say. I will ask him. He always says that his higher ups like him and say he's doing a good job so I guess that's a good sign.

We're trying not to get our hopes up about it too much but I like to have as much information as I can
  4. 1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    1/2 hippie, 1/2 diva... all Jersey
    I don't know too much about Navy, but DH (and JaneSays' DF) are in the MECEP program -- the USMC version of STA-21. It is a very competitive program. Like HazeGrey mentioned, that whole "well rounded" thing seems to be huge. Let your DB know that he shouldn't get discouraged if he doesn't get in. A lot of guys apply 2-3 times before they ever get selected.

www.SnarkyFit.com
  5. Senior Member

Oh, and the people I know who have gone STA-21, did not get selected the first time. So if he's not picked up the first time, he should definitely apply again. It seems to be the norm that you don't get selected the first time.

6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetvanity View Post
    I don't know too much about Navy, but DH (and JaneSays' DF) are in the MECEP program -- the USMC version of STA-21. It is a very competitive program. Like HazeGrey mentioned, that whole "well rounded" thing seems to be huge. Let your DB know that he shouldn't get discouraged if he doesn't get in. A lot of guys apply 2-3 times before they ever get selected.
    Oh, and the people I know who have gone STA-21, did not get selected the first time. So if he's not picked up the first time, he should definitely apply again. It seems to be the norm that you don't get selected the first time.
    That's great to know. It's good to have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks! I've been trying to be very neutral about my feelings about it so that he doesn't feel like he disappointed me on top of himself if he doesn't get in the first time.
  7. Senior Member
    Yep! DF (almost DH, wohoo!) is a current MECEP. It's suuuuuper competitive, and DF did a lot of extra stuff to try to look better for the board. The first time he applied, he did not get accepted, and he was crushed. His best friend applied during the same cycle he did, and the best friend got in but my DF didn't. He ended up deploying and had his heart set on getting out, until said best friend encouraged him to apply again. The second time around, DF had a much better idea of what they were looking for and what to do to beef up his application. He applied to colleges and got accepted ahead of time, continued to take some online college courses, and improved until he got a perfect PFT score.

The program (at least the Marine Corps one!) is awesome, and an amazing opportunity. I wish your DB good luck! Just make sure he doesn't get too discouraged if he doesn't get it. He can take it as a learning experience and figure out how to make his package more awesome the second time around.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Yep! DF (almost DH, wohoo!) is a current MECEP. It's suuuuuper competitive, and DF did a lot of extra stuff to try to look better for the board. The first time he applied, he did not get accepted, and he was crushed. His best friend applied during the same cycle he did, and the best friend got in but my DF didn't. He ended up deploying and had his heart set on getting out, until said best friend encouraged him to apply again. The second time around, DF had a much better idea of what they were looking for and what to do to beef up his application. He applied to colleges and got accepted ahead of time, continued to take some online college courses, and improved until he got a perfect PFT score.

The program (at least the Marine Corps one!) is awesome, and an amazing opportunity. I wish your DB good luck! Just make sure he doesn't get too discouraged if he doesn't get it. He can take it as a learning experience and figure out how to make his package more awesome the second time around.
    Thanks! I will definitely try to keep his spirits up and encourage him to keep trying if this cycle is not successful. It does sound like a great program. And a little more selfishly he'll be back in the US
  9. You are here.
    You are here.

Good luck
    YEP, its extremely competitive. I think we know two or three who went STA 21, and they were turned down twice. I would prepare for a denial but there is always a chance he could get selected first time off.
  10. Senior Member
    I don't know a lot and it was a lot of years ago but my ex husband was selected. We were married at the time. I know he was Sailor of the year and worked directly for a Commodore of the Amphibous ships (forget what rank). He had no prior college but pretty much straight a's in high school.(they consider grades) He had recommendations from several CO's. Numerous NAMS and COMS. My ex didn't get selected the first year. He was an alternate. He was selected his second year and did get his choice of schools though it was In Norfolk where he was already stationed.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast