Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Sewing on stripes

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Sewing on stripes

Advertisements
    (sorry if this is the wrong forum)

My husband went to drill this weekend as a ssgt, and came home with a brand new set of tsgt stripes!!!

Now my question is, how do I get these stripes on to all of his uniforms? Before, we were at a base, and we just took them to the alterations at the bx and they took care of it. Now we are not close to a base, and I have no clue what to do.

HELP!
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I would use a seam ripper to get off the old patches, then use a sewing machine to sew on the new ones. Is that what you mean?
    ​​​

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” -- Carl Sagan

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Well, no, i know that.

We are not putting them on the old uniforms though, he has a bunch of brand new uniforms that he wants me to sew his stripes on. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks to make it a little easier.

ETA: reading back on my post, I understand now, I did not word it very well lol. I do know I will need to use the sewing machine, and I know the basics of sewing. I have no doubt I can do it. I am not a master sewer, so I have no clue what needle type I need, I know the needles i have on my machine now will most likely not work. I only use really light fabrics when I am sewing. Also, is just regular multi-use thread ok, or would I need like heavy duty?
  4. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

When I sewed dh stripes on (years ago), I believe it was four inches from the top of the center of the sleeve. I would iron the sleeve and the patch, in half. Then pin and sew.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Get the Look Sharp! Air Force Uniform Guide - U.S. Air Force Uniform Guide (Look Sharp!): Walter G. Ringler: Amazon.com: Books

It will tell you the guidelines for each uniform. It isn't hard. I actually crease the stripes in the center, measure from the shoulder, then line them up with the crease in the arm (I iron them out afterward). Make sure you pin the hell out of it before you sew so it doesn't budge. Make sure you double check your measurements before you start sewing to make sure everything is straight. It isn't hard, just time consuming if you have a lot of uniforms to do. Doing it with a machine is easy though, just makes sure you don't sew through the back of the sleeve.

ETA - A standard needle will be fine. Just match the thread up to the blue on the stripes - its a pretty common color so you don't need to get anything special, regular thread will do.
  6. The Decider
    The Decider
    Blog Entries
    I just took his uniforms to a local alterations place, because I didn't want to be responsible for screwing it up.
    Next time you shop on Amazon, click through this link to help an amazing veterans' organization!

My 101 blog
    The Arizona Oenophile. Wine snobbery!

Lovin' up on WiggleWiggle~ since 04.06.2011!
  7. Come along with me, misery loves company.
    Come along with me, misery loves company.

Dh just sewed new patches on and did it by hand with a regular needle.