Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: 35M MOS? Help!

1. Regular Member

Help 35M MOS? Help!

Advertisements
    DH and I have had an awkward military career over the past [almost] 5 years. It's been full of constant up and downs and feeling like nobody was willing to help us get through the MOUNTAIN of BS of medical waivers, etc. All until a few 31B's showed up to his unit, heard his story, and wanted to help! Long story short.. he's in the Reserves and we've been trying to get AD. His unit found out that it would require a 3-star's signature to push the process forward and that until then, it would be at a stand still. We had all but lost hope since we were told it would be 3 months and we were now working on 5.. but we got the call Monday morning from his SSG that his packet had come back with the signature!!

So now, as far as I know, the next step is to go to MEPS and get a training date for WLC and AIT so he can switch his MOS to 35M. I was wondering if there were any wives out there with husband's with that MOS? I'm just curious because DH doesn't know too much about the training, etc. He told me that something like the top 3% of graduates at AIT go to language school in Monterey, CA for a year?

We have to wait until drill next weekend to find out the next step for us but, of course, I'm thinking 5 steps ahead lol. I just don't know much about training, where they typically get stationed, etc. so ANY help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm excited that we're THIS much closer to our dreams! Good bye, New Orleans.. hello WORLD!

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm fairly certain that in order to go to DLI he first has to pass the DLAB. It may be different because he's already reserves. 35M is what I'm currently in the process of enlisting as.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    I'm fairly certain that in order to go to DLI he first has to pass the DLAB. It may be different because he's already reserves. 35M is what I'm currently in the process of enlisting as.
    This. DB is 35P and they have to have a DLAB score to see what languages you qualify for.
  4. Regular Member
    Okay, great! DH is amazing at anything he puts his mind to and I told him I was sure he'd do fine on the DLAB. I didn't know if it picked the language for you when you took it? How does that work? I don't know much about how the testing works. All I know is that his ASVAB score had expired and when he re-took it last year he had done better and that his previous score and did well enough that he could pick from any MOS.

I grew up a Navy brat and my father had, obviously, done all this and was well into his career when I came along. I know about AD life but the process to get TO that.. I'm clueless, lol.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellabug0309 View Post
    Okay, great! DH is amazing at anything he puts his mind to and I told him I was sure he'd do fine on the DLAB. I didn't know if it picked the language for you when you took it? How does that work? I don't know much about how the testing works. All I know is that his ASVAB score had expired and when he re-took it last year he had done better and that his previous score and did well enough that he could pick from any MOS.

I grew up a Navy brat and my father had, obviously, done all this and was well into his career when I came along. I know about AD life but the process to get TO that.. I'm clueless, lol.
    DLAB is not something you can study for or "do if you put your mind to it". It's an aptitude test that you either understand or you don't, so just keep that in mind. He can take practice ones to see what it will be like, but there aren't study guides for it. My DB got his language emailed to him toward the end of BCT. He was able to check it the day of graduation. Get ready for everyone and their mother to ask if he got to pick his language the correct answer is NO.
  6. Regular Member
    Oh, okay. So they pick it for you based on how well you do and what's needed, I guess? If you score high enough in something like Korean or Arabic, I'm assuming they pick one of those for you vs something like Finnish?

7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellabug0309 View Post
    Oh, okay. So they pick it for you based on how well you do and what's needed, I guess? If you score high enough in something like Korean or Arabic, I'm assuming they pick one of those for you vs something like Finnish?
    Exactly. They put them in different categories and there's four I think. They all have to do with difficulty for an English speaker to learn.
    Cat 4: Mandarin, Korean, etc.
    Cat 3: Farsi, Russian, etc.
    Cat 2: I thiiiink these are Scandinavian languages and the like, I can't remember.
    Cat 1: Spanish, German, Italian, etc.

Now they used to only take people that scored cat 4. I don't think that's the case now because my DB got cat 3 but don't assume that he can skate by and learn Spanish, because they don't need that. The harder languages are the ones they want to teach you since you won't learn them outside DLI, basically.
  8. skp
    The journey is the reward.
    The journey is the reward.

my EX was in this MOS. He never went to DLI because he already knew Arabic so he tested out of it. He did most of his training at Ft. Huachuca in AZ and was stationed at Ft. Bragg attached to the 82nd airborne.

I know there are a few others on the boards with SOs in this MOS, so hopefully they can give you more insight. I'm more familiar with the deployment aspect unfortunately.

br33 is my professional deployment twin
    starsinthesky is my PAL
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DLAB is hard. I just took the practice one and although I did really well, it's difficult and takes a lot of concentration. It's not something you can study for because its not even an actual language or definition based. It's all about how you retain a lot of knowledge from little info.

Best of luck to your DB.
  10. Regular Member
    Thank you!