Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Asvab horror!

1. Regular Member
    Blog Entries

Shocked Asvab horror!

Advertisements
    I'm 30 years old with a degree in Communications & I want to join the air national guard. I've been in talks with recruiters for months & now I've made up my mind. My biggest concern is passing the ASVAB with a high score. I'VE been out of school for 6+ years & I'm unsure of how to study for The math portions. I've purchased a study guide but it seems to be so overwhelming. I haven't had to deal with arithmatic in some time & now it is like reading Greek. Does anyone have any ideas on the best ways to prepare?
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Have you taken any practice tests from your recruiter to see where you are at? It may be that you will find you do better than you expect.
  3. Senior Member
    Could your recruiter hook you up with someone else to help you study? When my husband was in the delayed entry program he helped quite a few of the other guys there study so they could pass the asvab.
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Barrons ASVAB study book...AMAZING! My recruiter even looked through it and said it was spot on. It gave you some easier problems and quite a few harder ones. I feel that it prepared me for the hardest but the test was actually very basic (I just took it on Tuesday). Feel free to PM me if you want help.
  5. Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    Lex Justo BAMF Patriot Guard Rider!
    I just recently did the same thing. Been out of college 3+ years and haven't looked at math since I failed and retook HS algebra I bought the Kaplan ASVAB study guide and worked through a lot of it. That helped me and I scored pretty damn good, including math, for someone who struggles immensely with it. Hell, depending how soon you're taking the test, I'll sell you my book, so you can save a few bucks on it. Just throwing it out there since it helped me out so much. Its got a handful of practice tests and it walks through how to solved all the problems throughout the book. I found it at Barnes and Noble if you wanna buy a new copy.

Just don't freak out if you can't figure one out. Fortunetly, its multiple choice so pick one of the answers thats not the highest or lowest put it in the equation and then solve the problem backwards. That helped me out a TON on some of the ones I couldn't figure out. That'll eliminate at least one or two or maybe even give you the answer right away.
    I've been known as
    "The Enforcer" and NavyHeart

Once more into the fray...
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live or die on this day...
    Live and die on this day.

6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I took it after 6 years of no math, it was pretty hilarious. Higher math that can't be accomplished in excel isn't needed for most people. Basically I just read through some of the old formulas in a practice book and practiced up a bit. Fortunately you don't have to show your work, so the round about way I solved problems would have failed me in high school is a-ok. It got me the right answer on the asvab. You might want to skim through the science too. It had been awhile since I took it so knocking lose the basics helped me out as well.
  7. Senior Member
    Don't laugh...

ASVAB for Dummies! Seriously. DB got a 94 and was testing in the low 80s before that book.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dh is recruiting and always sends people to look for ASVAB for Dummies.
  9. Regular Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for all your suggestions. I've taken a few practice tests online & didn't score so wonderful. I got the asvab cliff notes book & everyone basically said I got the wrong one. Smh. Thanks again everyone!
  10. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    I used the ASVAB for Dummies book. When I took the practice test at the recruiting station, I got a lousy 40. When I took the test last week, I scored 84. I focused mostly on the math sections. But the book helps explain how you solve the tests. I also searched for websites that allowed me to brush up on my (very) basic math skills.

ASVAB – Mathematics Knowledge & Arithmetic Reasoning | Indiana Jane

Feel free to check out my blog post with some of the sites I checked out. Best of luck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast