Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Question about moving from state to state (National Guard)

  1. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    WhiskeyGirl's Avatar
    WhiskeyGirl is offline
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,208
    Blog Entries
    1
    #1

    Question about moving from state to state (National Guard)

    Advertisements
    Is it easy to move state to state? We are to the point of just really hating it here. Mostly because of the lack of work hubs can find. Everything is part time and people are down sizing so much. There is NO way we could afford to live down by the cities (Minneapolis/St Paul). My grandmother made the offer for us to move back down to OK and take her 3 bedroom mobile home. She doesn't want to live in such a big place anymore. Hubs would also be promised a full time job by my grandmothers friend who has been running his own business for 10 plus years. He is legally blind (not 100% but legally) and is looking for a dependable driver to take him around all of his routes all over OKC and the surrounding ares.

    Hubs and I talked about it and he and I both feel leaving Minnesota would be the best thing for our family.

    What would he have to do to get his National Guard "State" changed from Minnesota to Oklahoma?

    He changed units in Minnesota and that was just a phone call between Sgts and it was done. So we are unsure what all he will have to do to get it changed to a new state.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  2. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #2
    It is easy to move but costly. for the guard info - if he will be close to the NG unit in OKC it should be pretty easy to transfer units.

    he should be able to get that info from his command pretty easy.
  3. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    WhiskeyGirl's Avatar
    WhiskeyGirl is offline
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,208
    Blog Entries
    1
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    It is easy to move but costly. for the guard info - if he will be close to the NG unit in OKC it should be pretty easy to transfer units.

    he should be able to get that info from his command pretty easy.
    It won't cost us to much for the move. There should be a nearby unit, where we would be moving to would be near OKC and Tinker AFB

    I will have him ask his Sgt tomorrow after he gets home from work.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  4. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #4
    will you need to rent a moving truck? how many cars do you need to move? will you have to set up utlities in your name?
  5. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    WhiskeyGirl's Avatar
    WhiskeyGirl is offline
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,208
    Blog Entries
    1
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    will you need to rent a moving truck? how many cars do you need to move? will you have to set up utlities in your name?
    Yes we will
    1 car
    No just transfer

    The uhaul is about 975
    gas for our vehicle and the uhaul would be about 700
    That is all..

    So about 2000 to be safe, that is not a lot for a move, we have done bigger moves on less before.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  6. Banned
    gunsgirl's Avatar
    gunsgirl is offline
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    lost
    Posts
    17,275
    #6
    would you drive straight thru? or would you need to stop for 1 or 2 nights?
    how about food costs? will you need to eat out on the way?
    do you have renters insurance? or will you need to purchase insurance from the moving truck company?
  7. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    WhiskeyGirl's Avatar
    WhiskeyGirl is offline
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,208
    Blog Entries
    1
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by gunsgirl View Post
    would you drive straight thru? or would you need to stop for 1 or 2 nights?
    how about food costs? will you need to eat out on the way?
    do you have renters insurance? or will you need to purchase insurance from the moving truck company?
    We drive straight through, as a "vet" of many moves I learned to never eat on the road, just pack your own easy things. Also we would drive about dinner time and then through the night, that saves snack for the girls and fussiness for the long trip.
    We already have renters insurance and will only need to change the information with USAA, the fee for the Uhaul includes insurance with Uhual.

    I have made many, many, many moves in my life. 2 massive moves with my husband.
    It is a 15 hours drive and I have driven farther and longer than that before straight through. If rest is needed then just like my mom did we would stop at a well lite busy truck stop and nap.
    No need to spend extra money on a hotel. Odds are though we will not stop. I know that hubs can drive a long distance too. On our move from NV to PA he drove from UT almost to IA without needing a nap, I have driven from Here to Fort Leonard Wood straight through, and OKC to San Antonio straight through, and OKC to Oceanside CA straight through. Long drives and long moves are not new to us.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  8. Senior Member
    Katayoun's Avatar
    Katayoun is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    4,244
    #8
    It seems to me like moving would be a good investment! Hopefully they can do an easy transfer for you
  9. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    WhiskeyGirl's Avatar
    WhiskeyGirl is offline
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    17,208
    Blog Entries
    1
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Katayoun View Post
    It seems to me like moving would be a good investment! Hopefully they can do an easy transfer for you
    Thanks! I hope so too!
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    rayfinkle's Avatar
    rayfinkle is offline
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    18,537
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    We drive straight through, as a "vet" of many moves I learned to never eat on the road, just pack your own easy things. Also we would drive about dinner time and then through the night, that saves snack for the girls and fussiness for the long trip.
    We already have renters insurance and will only need to change the information with USAA, the fee for the Uhaul includes insurance with Uhual.

    I have made many, many, many moves in my life. 2 massive moves with my husband.
    It is a 15 hours drive and I have driven farther and longer than that before straight through. If rest is needed then just like my mom did we would stop at a well lite busy truck stop and nap.
    No need to spend extra money on a hotel. Odds are though we will not stop. I know that hubs can drive a long distance too. On our move from NV to PA he drove from UT almost to IA without needing a nap, I have driven from Here to Fort Leonard Wood straight through, and OKC to San Antonio straight through, and OKC to Oceanside CA straight through. Long drives and long moves are not new to us.
    Did you do all those trips with all your kids?


    life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •