Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: For those who have med boarded out...

1. Senior Member

Question For those who have med boarded out...

Advertisements
    Be it yourself or your SO,

How long from the time the dr submitted the paperwork til you were officially out was the wait? Did you get retirement or just discharged.

I am trying to get an average idea. TIA
  2. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

I think it was about 2 months. No retirement, he got an honorable medical discharge.

3. Senior Member
    DH isnt getting out anytime soon but I do get a ton of ladies and gents into work who are med-boarding out. From what I've gotten out of talking to them retirement med-board seems to be those who have served over 10 years. I think the time table depends on where you are stationed. Here at Fort Hood everyone tells me that its between 4-6 months but this is a massive post and paperwork takes ages for anything.

“It has been said, 'time heals all wounds.' I do not agree. The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens. But it is never gone.”
    ― Rose Kennedy
  4. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies

If anyone else has any helpful info on this I would appreciate it.
  5. Senior Member
    If you/he are med boarding make sure you have complete copies of all your records (awards, medals, medical etc) Get them now. Then go to VA and find out everything you will need to get their paperwork done.

It is much easier to get everything now and make sure the records are in order than to wait and try to get it after you get out. We have gone to a number of meeting lately that have stressed this and how important it is to make sure everything is correct and you have a copy of everything.

While it may or may not get anything at this point, it will help in the future towards determining if there is a disability that was caused through the military service. If you wait until later, records can and have been lost and once it is lost are almost impossible to reconstruct.
    http://militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=8121&dateline=1213248817 TAKEN AT NISQUALLY WILDLIFE PRESERVE
  6. Senior Member
    Kaaau, thank you. Yes it is DH and he has at least all the copies of medical records except for ones in the past 9-10 months or so. I need to remind him to get copies of all his new stuff. He will be getting a higher disability rating due to the reason he is getting med boarded but of course we don't know what. I will remind him to make copies of every thing he can records wise.