Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NG to AD?

1. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

NG to AD?

Advertisements
    DF is really having trouble finding a job since he got home from deployment (He's got a company flying him to CA next week for an interview ). He's been "Active Duty" Army National Guard for a few years due to college, changing MOS, pre-deployment, deployment, leave, etc.

We've toyed with the idea of him going AD before, but brushed it off and decided to stay NG. But it's becoming more and more a possiblity of trying since he cannot find a job and we need something to start bringing in income.

The problem/confusion is that he says it's harder for officer's to transfer to AD, especially with the sequestration. Anybody know if that is true/not true right now? (I'm not trying to make an O vs E thing, just curious because he's in the process of transitioning one of his soldiers to AD right now but says it's a lot harder for him and he doesn't think he could? )
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    No advice but that he's able to make the transition or find a job soon!

3. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I think it would make sense because they just need less officers, so it's probably harder. Dh is enlisted, but he went through the process of getting back in from prior service/reserves, I don't know if any thing he experienced would apply to your df but I can tell you about if you want for his job interview though!
  4. Senior Member

DH was going to try the same thing. We are still looking into it, however, it is harder for officer's to switch over. DH was almost able to but would've had to deploy with the unit and change his MOS. We decided against it because of the deployment and he loves his MOS. I'm not sure of the process though.
  5. Regular Member
    I really thought I was the only person who ever asked this question..! I've had a small bit of experience in this department so let me tell you what I know so far. Every situation is different though, but DH and I have seemed to have the roughtest time in the Army during his 4+ years. So without further ado.. here goes it!

DH enlisted in USAR while he was in ROTC at Tulane University. Long story short.. after over 2 years of constant BS of ROTC not giving him a contract, he decided to leave. Since he enlisted as 09R (Cadet) it was his unit's responsibility to send him to BCT/AIT within the 365 days of him no longer being in ROTC. They never did, and that was almost 3 years ago to the day. Ever since then.. we've been trying to get him to training for a new MOS. We've been told NUMEROUS times that it's "coming soon.." and we even pushed our wedding date 4 months ahead of schedule, only for the original day to come and go and him still be here. We thought about going NG, but that didn't work because they had a hard time switching him from federal to state due to a medical waiver (he had Hodgkins Lymphoma when we were in high school and is 10 years in remission.. but they wouldn't take him because his medical waiver is federal and he's have to get another waiver for that.. )

As of the end of 2012, we've been trying to get him AD. Right now, what we're being told by his unit, is that we're waiting on the 3-star in DC to sign and release him from his current unit so that AD can pick him up. But, I'm not holding my breath.. Nothing has ever worked for us so I'm really just feeling like this won't be any different. But, that's not to discourage you! I'm just letting you know that it's difficult and I'm sure part of it has to do with the draw-down of troops. IMO, if they aren't "fresh meat" they don't want them. Idk if that's the case but that's just how I feel sometimes.

I hope I didn't confuse you more or discourage you from trying..!
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyMrsG View Post
    No advice but that he's able to make the transition or find a job soon!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    I think it would make sense because they just need less officers, so it's probably harder. Dh is enlisted, but he went through the process of getting back in from prior service/reserves, I don't know if any thing he experienced would apply to your df but I can tell you about if you want for his job interview though!
    Makes sense to me too about the less officers thing. DF knows about the process (I guess ), I was just curious if anybody else had this issue or not. You are welcome to share if you want though

Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    DH was going to try the same thing. We are still looking into it, however, it is harder for officer's to switch over. DH was almost able to but would've had to deploy with the unit and change his MOS. We decided against it because of the deployment and he loves his MOS. I'm not sure of the process though.
    Yeah, that's what DF is worried about too, I think. It's our LAST resort (him trying to go AD), I was just curious if anybody else had tried too. You're not giving me much encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by mrs_snider View Post
    I really thought I was the only person who ever asked this question..! I've had a small bit of experience in this department so let me tell you what I know so far. Every situation is different though, but DH and I have seemed to have the roughtest time in the Army during his 4+ years. So without further ado.. here goes it!

DH enlisted in USAR while he was in ROTC at Tulane University. Long story short.. after over 2 years of constant BS of ROTC not giving him a contract, he decided to leave. Since he enlisted as 09R (Cadet) it was his unit's responsibility to send him to BCT/AIT within the 365 days of him no longer being in ROTC. They never did, and that was almost 3 years ago to the day. Ever since then.. we've been trying to get him to training for a new MOS. We've been told NUMEROUS times that it's "coming soon.." and we even pushed our wedding date 4 months ahead of schedule, only for the original day to come and go and him still be here. We thought about going NG, but that didn't work because they had a hard time switching him from federal to state due to a medical waiver (he had Hodgkins Lymphoma when we were in high school and is 10 years in remission.. but they wouldn't take him because his medical waiver is federal and he's have to get another waiver for that.. )

As of the end of 2012, we've been trying to get him AD. Right now, what we're being told by his unit, is that we're waiting on the 3-star in DC to sign and release him from his current unit so that AD can pick him up. But, I'm not holding my breath.. Nothing has ever worked for us so I'm really just feeling like this won't be any different. But, that's not to discourage you! I'm just letting you know that it's difficult and I'm sure part of it has to do with the draw-down of troops. IMO, if they aren't "fresh meat" they don't want them. Idk if that's the case but that's just how I feel sometimes.

I hope I didn't confuse you more or discourage you from trying..!
    That sounds very frustrating. DF did enlisted for like 6 years, then ROTC while he completed college and then became an officer after he graduated. He's now at 11 years (ish) and debating going AD.

7. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by *Luz* View Post
    Thanks!

Makes sense to me too about the less officers thing. DF knows about the process (I guess ), I was just curious if anybody else had this issue or not. You are welcome to share if you want though

Yeah, that's what DF is worried about too, I think. It's our LAST resort (him trying to go AD), I was just curious if anybody else had tried too. You're not giving me much encouragement!

That sounds very frustrating. DF did enlisted for like 6 years, then ROTC while he completed college and then became an officer after he graduated. He's now at 11 years (ish) and debating going AD.
    I'm sorry! DH is looking into the State Police now and hoping to maybe go SWAT or something like it. He has a good friend on the force and they really want him to come on. Would your DH be interested in that?
  8. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CountryStrong View Post
    I'm sorry! DH is looking into the State Police now and hoping to maybe go SWAT or something like it. He has a good friend on the force and they really want him to come on. Would your DH be interested in that?
    He adamantly does NOT want to go that route, which sucks, because I have a lot of "cop" friends/connections. Hopefully that works out for your DH!

9. Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by *Luz* View Post
    He adamantly does NOT want to go that route, which sucks, because I have a lot of "cop" friends/connections. Hopefully that works out for your DH!
    Keep your hopes up! Everything will work out. Keep looking the AD route and for his interview! DH keeps joking that with North Korea he might get called up anyway so maybe he should've deployed with the AD unit.
  10. Senior Member
    no advice but i hope either he finds a job soon or he is able to go AD many
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast