Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does it matter what college you go to if you want to go from E to O?

1. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick

Does it matter what college you go to if you want to go from E to O?

Advertisements
    My husband finished his AAS a couple years ago and wants to finish his Bachelor's. He WANTS to stay in the military for 30 years (he's crazy, but whatever). He only has 9 in currently. He's saying it doesn't matter where he goes to school as long as it's accredited and he gets a degree. Those who have experience with this, what do YOU think?

He was looking at CTU (Colorado Technical University) for a Bachelor's in Business Admin. Why? He said it came up on a list of the 10 best online colleges. I went to that website and explained to him that the reason these are listed as the 10 best is because they sponsored the website. It's not because it's actually one of the best. He said he understands that but it doesn't matter. I also looked up some reviews from students and it sounds like their programs suck, but again he says he doesn't care, he just needs the degree. It's also one of the most expensive online schools out there according to the reviews. It's a for-profit university, which always makes me a little weary because I think they're most focused on getting as much money as possible and don't really care about the quality of the education (again, he says he doesn't care about the quality of the education).

So--what do you think? AND can any of you recommend online programs maybe? Thanks so much.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  2. Senior Member
    Sounds like your DH is dead set on this school despite the points you made.

Did you ask him why besides it being considered one of the best schools on the website its funding?
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I do not know anything about going E to O and the school he attends is ultimately his decision.

However, with that, I think he is going about it wrong. Although it is great that he is so motivated, I think he should look into the different programs more and make sure they offer what he is looking for. I would first start with checking out the school's accreditation, especially if he ever plans on transferring. I think it is wise to look into brick and mortar schools as well, many have online (or distance learning) programs (and it won't even say "online" on the diploma).

Also, there are many military friendly schools out there (tuition discounts, accept military education programs, are flexible when they go TDY/Deploy, etc.) he should look into, as well. I'm not sure if it is the same for the Navy, but he should look to see if there is an education office on the base, they can certainly point him in the right direction.

4. Moderator

We looked into online programs for DH, but everything we found made me wary. It seemed like they were all about getting people's money and checking off the "have a degree" box on the E to O applications. Almost all the reviews we read listed "easy courses" as a positive thing, which I don't really consider positive. We don't want to pay some place $10k to check a box with easy courses where he doesn't really learn anything. That wasn't really what he was looking for, so we just dropped the idea of online-only schools. When he starts taking online classes, it will be with a brick-and-mortar university that offers independent study/online courses.

That said, if he DOES just want to check the box so he can commission, I don't think it much matters where he goes. We know lots who went through AMU so they could commission.
  5. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by TriggerHappy View Post
    Sounds like your DH is dead set on this school despite the points you made.

Did you ask him why besides it being considered one of the best schools on the website its funding?
    He's not dead set on it, and I pointed out that if he goes to a cheaper school, we can possibly pay out of pocket for him to take more classes than TA will pay for in a year, rather than using his GI Bill. He's interested in finishing his degree as quickly and easily as possible. I know this makes him sound lazy, but I assure you he is anything BUT lazy. Part of the reason he wants something quick and easy is because work is his priority right now, and he takes on a lot of responsibility there.
    Beth, Mama to Emmalee (12), Evan (9), and Ella (4 on May 7) (I really REALLY need to update my picture!)
  6. Feelin' fly like a Cheesestick
    Quote Originally Posted by SingWeJoyous View Post
    We looked into online programs for DH, but everything we found made me wary. It seemed like they were all about getting people's money and checking off the "have a degree" box on the E to O applications. Almost all the reviews we read listed "easy courses" as a positive thing, which I don't really consider positive. We don't want to pay some place $10k to check a box with easy courses where he doesn't really learn anything. That wasn't really what he was looking for, so we just dropped the idea of online-only schools. When he starts taking online classes, it will be with a brick-and-mortar university that offers independent study/online courses.

That said, if he DOES just want to check the box so he can commission, I don't think it much matters where he goes. We know lots who went through AMU so they could commission.
    See, I was concerned that, with how competitive things are in the military now (downsizing, etc.), WHERE he gets his degree might actually matter. But I don't know if that's true? I know it used to not matter, just not sure things are still the same, know what I mean???

Thank you, everyone, for the input. He has been to the Navy College (or whatever it's called these days LOL) office on base, and has looked into some programs there. I just am really uncertain about him picking some college from Google that he knows nothing about. I know that it's his decision, but I'm trying to help him with that since I'm a professional student (hahaha... not really, but I have been through college and dealt with financial aid and choosing a college that would work for my needs, etc.).
  7. Senior Member
    Is there a enlisted to officer program he can apply for in his branch? My DB has 8 years in enlisted in the Marines. He applied for one of these programs and got accepted, so now his "job" is to go to school full time--he gets to keep his rank, pay, BAH, etc. he even gets meritoriously promoted, so he may be promoted while at school.
  8. Regular Member
    From what DH tells me and what my Dad did, as long as the school is accredited it will work for E to O. Granted, my Dad's was completely funded by the military because they paid for him to become a PA. DH looked into schools that the military suggested would fit completely under 100% tuition, etc. He's going through Southwestern now. He doesn't want to go E to O, but he said that it would be an option after earning his BS from them.

I would have preferred he go to a more "prestigious" and "well known" school (especially since I graduated from FSU and he is working on the same exact degree as what I have) but ultimately, where he wants to go is up to him. I'm just glad he's going back for the paper.
  9. missing my sanity
    missing my sanity
    Blog Entries

I know an officer who got a degree in Basket Weaving..... So I don't think it really matters what school to go from E to O

10. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    The school he goes to doesn't matter, as long as its an accredited school. What might matter is the degree, he should focus on a degree that will help him in the future and one that they are willing to accept for officer school.

And for the record.. I graduated from CTU with a bachelor's and two master's degrees and I had no issues with their programs and I haven't had any problems with getting jobs with it listed as my school. I even get compliments for choosing that school.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast