Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: active guard reserve?

1. Senior Member

active guard reserve?

Advertisements
    does anyone out there know about active guard reserve? i had never heard of it until recently. seems kind of funny to me that the name has all 3 "components" in it, almost like an oxymoron it is my understanding that all branches have it?? and the retirement is similiar to that of active duty? correct? i just don't understand how it differs from traditional active then... or guard or reserve... like what is the point of it? what makes it different? pros/cons?
  2. Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Luke 6:37 & Matthew 7:1-2
    Blog Entries
    LOL I have never heard of that. I have heard of Active Guard or Active Reserves.

My friend Matt is in the Air Guard but is working as Active Guard everyday (even when not deployed). He is a crew chief.
    Rissa*Rawr is my Wifey as of 1/24/2012
  3. Senior Member
    In the sense that the person is getting paid full time by the army AGR isn't much different than AD. You go to work during your scheduled duty hours, get your paycheck the first and 15th like everyone else, get full tricare without having to pay extra, etc. But it's still a reserve unit or a guard unit so you're not PCSing unless you switch units, depending on the laws surrounding that unit you're less likely to be deployed (in our state NG can only deploy every 3years, reserves every 5), and I think overall it's just normally a more laid back setting and better hours than most AD slots. It's for the people who like the reserve life, like still being where they are but want to still be a part of the army full time and not just do the one weekend a month thing like traditional NG or Reserve. It's also a good substitute for the people that want AD but can't get out of their contract to get a Ad slot
  4. Senior Member
    interesting. i get the perks for the servicemember... but why did the DOD/government whatever create active duty guard? was it just to appease people who wanted both worlds? or does it somehow fill a need for the military? i at first was leery of the idea because of how retirement works within the guard and reserves, but then read about how it's the same as active. and then it just confused me it almost seems a little too good to be true.
  5. Senior Member
    Even though the units are 90% part time staff they still need to function during "normal duty hours" to run smoothly. There's no way you could get everything that needs to be done for the unit to function if you literally only had people come in 2 days a month. Drill weekends are busy as it is, add on the fact that you only have two days to worry about being sure everyone's orders are in place, commanders are getting their needed duties done, maintenence is being done on any aircraft or vehicles, supply is being kept up with, list goes on and on. Literally nothing would ever get done. But it's a small component of the unit normally, maybe 20-40 people out of a unit of 4000 or more. True AGR slots are sometimes really hard to come by, and sometimes only for short periods 1-3 years but there are people who can stay on AGR with the same unit for literally their entire career.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I don't know much about it except for if you do recruiting duty on AGR, at least in the Army you still move around, and it's a little more difficult to get promoted past E-7. However, with that you can stay in for a career, it, at least for now is not a temporary duty thing unless you want it to be.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobysgal View Post
    Even though the units are 90% part time staff they still need to function during "normal duty hours" to run smoothly. There's no way you could get everything that needs to be done for the unit to function if you literally only had people come in 2 days a month. Drill weekends are busy as it is, add on the fact that you only have two days to worry about being sure everyone's orders are in place, commanders are getting their needed duties done, maintenence is being done on any aircraft or vehicles, supply is being kept up with, list goes on and on. Literally nothing would ever get done. But it's a small component of the unit normally, maybe 20-40 people out of a unit of 4000 or more. True AGR slots are sometimes really hard to come by, and sometimes only for short periods 1-3 years but there are people who can stay on AGR with the same unit for literally their entire career.
    ah, if i am understanding what you are saying correctly, then that actually makes sense! so basically they are the "24/7" (for lack of a better term...) component of the guard and reserves that makes things run smoothly even when those that are part time are not working? at least i think that is what you are saying. if so, that makes total sense. they need people that are "active" to always be running things, even in guard and reserves. hmmm i like the sound of this more and more
  8. Senior Member
    Hey Alice! My husbands AGR. We've come across a number of people who are confused by what he does. But Scoobysgal gave a pretty good explain action of it. They're there to run things during the week so drill weekend goes smoothly and the unit is prepared for whatever they need to do. Since not all the staff works everyday, my husband found himself wearing a number of hats to get the job done. His last unit was also under staffed so that didn't help. For his duty stations we usually spend about 2-3 yrs at a place. We're getting ready to move again in may.
    DB: maybe its the altitude or the drugs...or both but I dont' want to go a day without you in my life
  9. Regular Member
    I know this thread is a bit old, but my husband is considering active guard reserve. Does anyone know if we would qualify for base housing? Thanks!
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Help bendi- need your help!

My husband is also AGR and this is our 1st pcs as an AGR and we are completely lost on how it works. It's so different than AD Army. I don't how to apply for travel allowances like DLA and TLA and our transportation expenses etc. And when we went on the move.mil site they wanted us to put in a date we want our stuff moved but we don't have an address yet where we are going. Do we just put in a date then it goes to a temp. storage until we get our address? Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Floridabound
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast