Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Navy Nuclear Enginner?

  1. Senior Member
    JennaK828's Avatar
    JennaK828 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    2
    #1

    Navy Nuclear Enginner?

    Advertisements
    Just wondering if anyone else here has a SO that is or working on becoming a Nuclear Enginner with the Navy.

    DB is getting ready to head to boot camp in Feb, and I was just hoping to gain a little insight on how their career may go leading up to their actual assignment as a Nuclear Enginner. The locations for the schools (I know his one school will be in SC), the possible time lengths for things, etc.

    He's shared a little bit with me, but I was hoping to find some others that have already gone through this, so I kind of know what to expect from this perspective, and to better understand what will be going on with his side of things.


  2. Senior Member
    SubmarineWife's Avatar
    SubmarineWife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,827
    #2
    My husband is in the nuclear field.. a nuclear mechanic. But the school they go to does not make them a nuclear engineer. Any person who wants the engineering title has to attend college for that on their own time. Which my husband is currently doing. The engineering degree isn't just handed over after A-school, power school and prototype. The nuclear training.. is 2-2.5 years. He could end up going to A-school and power school in SC but end up going to NY for prototype. My husband has been a nuke in the Navy for 12 years. One thing to know is the schooling is stressful on the guys. He will be working his butt off. These schools are not a cake walk and most don't make it through, and fail out. The hours he will be studying or working will be long. When he gets to a sea going command get ready for 18+ hour days. When they go out to sea get ready for him to be the first on the boat and the last one off. If you have anymore questions please feel free to message me.

    Goodluck!



  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SubmarineWife View Post
    My husband is in the nuclear field.. a nuclear mechanic. But the school they go to does not make them a nuclear engineer. Any person who wants the engineering title has to attend college for that on their own time. Which my husband is currently doing. The engineering degree isn't just handed over after A-school, power school and prototype. The nuclear training.. is 2-2.5 years. He could end up going to A-school and power school in SC but end up going to NY for prototype. My husband has been a nuke in the Navy for 12 years. One thing to know is the schooling is stressful on the guys. He will be working his butt off. These schools are not a cake walk and most don't make it through, and fail out. The hours he will be studying or working will be long. When he gets to a sea going command get ready for 18+ hour days. When they go out to sea get ready for him to be the first on the boat and the last one off. If you have anymore questions please feel free to message me.

    Goodluck!
    Agreed. You took the words right out of my mouth!

    My husband is a nuke electrician in the Navy with 7 years of experience. He is currently an instructor at prototype in NY.He is also working towards his degree on his own time.

    The previous poster is a great source of information, and I am also happy to answer any questions and/or speak to my/my husband's experience.
  4. Senior Member
    JennaK828's Avatar
    JennaK828 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    2
    #4
    Thank you both for the information! I really appreciate the support as well! I'll know exactly who to come to

    I did think of one question while reading back your information: You mentioned they would have to attend college to get the title of engineer..they would just have to get an engineering degree I'm assuming? I don't want to sound dumb right now, I'm just confused!

    DB did mention to me how alot of their free time they are studying wherever they are, even when he's on the sub they tend to do that alot as well.

    Thank again!


  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaK828 View Post
    Thank you both for the information! I really appreciate the support as well! I'll know exactly who to come to

    I did think of one question while reading back your information: You mentioned they would have to attend college to get the title of engineer..they would just have to get an engineering degree I'm assuming? I don't want to sound dumb right now, I'm just confused!

    DB did mention to me how alot of their free time they are studying wherever they are, even when he's on the sub they tend to do that alot as well.

    Thank again!
    They're not required to get a degree of any sort. All of the education they need is provided for them by the Navy. However, some of their schooling can transfer to college credit at some schools. Therefore, they're on track for a degree while in the program.

    As for the studying, the hours will definitely be long. It's important to stay on top of the work because it moves fast. And yes, he will be studying on the boat as well. Basically, he will have to qualify to stand different watches. The qualification process is laid out very clearly and there is studying that goes along with that. He will be encouraged to qualify quickly in order to help support the watchbill for his section.

    I hope this answers your questions!
  6. Senior Member
    SubmarineWife's Avatar
    SubmarineWife is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    2,827
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by EmilyPT View Post
    They're not required to get a degree of any sort. All of the education they need is provided for them by the Navy. However, some of their schooling can transfer to college credit at some schools. Therefore, they're on track for a degree while in the program.

    As for the studying, the hours will definitely be long. It's important to stay on top of the work because it moves fast. And yes, he will be studying on the boat as well. Basically, he will have to qualify to stand different watches. The qualification process is laid out very clearly and there is studying that goes along with that. He will be encouraged to qualify quickly in order to help support the watchbill for his section.

    I hope this answers your questions!
    This.

    They are always studying. The nuclear program is HARD and takes alot of studying while in school. They move fast, so he will also be learning something. My husband just got done teaching at prototype in SC. Once he is on a ship/sub he will still have to study and learn. Things are always changing and there is always new things to learn. Qualifications are always needed to move up. Heck even with my husband being in 12 years he is still doing quals on things.



  7. Senior Member
    JennaK828's Avatar
    JennaK828 is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    932
    Blog Entries
    2
    #7
    Thank you again for the information, it's been a huge help for me to better understand things! DB was telling me how he's never been more "Anxious and excited" about something. He's very much looking forward to this chapter in his life, and I support him 110%. I think it's a wonderful move for him in life, and I know he will make it through it. He enjoys learning so many things, and is one of the most intelligent people I know. I'm very excited for him as well, and I'm excited to have found you guys that I can relate to, and talk to!


  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    EmilyPT's Avatar
    EmilyPT is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    6,310

    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaK828 View Post
    Thank you again for the information, it's been a huge help for me to better understand things! DB was telling me how he's never been more "Anxious and excited" about something. He's very much looking forward to this chapter in his life, and I support him 110%. I think it's a wonderful move for him in life, and I know he will make it through it. He enjoys learning so many things, and is one of the most intelligent people I know. I'm very excited for him as well, and I'm excited to have found you guys that I can relate to, and talk to!
    I'm glad you're feeling more at ease! It's a lot of information and a very unique way of life. Best of luck to you and your boyfriend in the coming months! Feel free to PM anytime!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •