Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Himars

1. Semper Fi <3
    Semper Fi <3

Himars

Advertisements
    DB will be going to basic next month and his career is HIMARS... i've read a little bit about it and know a little. But does anyone's SO have this career? He's going into the Marines.
  2. Senior Member
    My DH is in artillery, and HIMARS are a part of artillery. My DH shoots howitzers and mortars, so it's a bit different. I can't tell you much about HIMARS except that they're really loud. I can hear them from my house sometimes when they're out in the field shooting. I can tell you all about what it's like having an SO in artillery though if you have any questions.
  3. Semper Fi <3
    Semper Fi <3
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtsyBelle View Post
    My DH is in artillery, and HIMARS are a part of artillery. My DH shoots howitzers and mortars, so it's a bit different. I can't tell you much about HIMARS except that they're really loud. I can hear them from my house sometimes when they're out in the field shooting. I can tell you all about what it's like having an SO in artillery though if you have any questions.
    Oh thats so cool!! lol, it looks pretty cool really & whats it like? Like what can i expect?
  4. Senior Member
    Expect him to be training in the field pretty frequently. My DH usually spends at least a few days in the field each month (overnight, sleeping in tents, etc.) Sometimes it's a week or 2 weeks at once. There are usually two month-long field ops a year. Of course that depends on where he's stationed and what unit. Here at Camp Pendleton, they go to the field a lot because they have a lot of "field" to go to. Lots of open training areas where they can shoot. When he was stationed in Hawaii before that, there was a lot less field training because there wasn't really anywhere to go shoot on the island. They had to fly to the Big Island to shoot, so they would go for a month to 6 weeks all at once a couple times a year. You may or may not be able to get phone calls from him during those training ops. They are usually allowed to take their cell phones with them, but in some of the more remote areas, they don't always get cell service. They are also pretty busy, so they may not get a lot of down time to call.

He will probably end up with significant hearing loss, which is a bummer, but he can receive disability for that once he separates from the military. Even the ear protection they wear isn't quite enough to protect their ears since it's soooo loud.
  5. Semper Fi <3
    Semper Fi <3
    Oh that will suck! He's going reserve so once his training is done then he'll be home until they say so. Has your DH gone on any deployments? &thats good that he will least have his phone most the time!
  6. Senior Member
    Oh ok. Well I don't know anything about how the reserves works, so probably a lot of what I said won't be relevant to your situation. My DH is active duty. He is currently on his 4th deployment, and he's been in 7 years.
  7. Semper Fi <3
    Semper Fi <3
    Yeah, he'll be reserve for 6 years or something like that unless something happens or yet need him to go for whatever reason. I have a feeling he won't be reserve for very long really, but how long are the deployments usually.?